iMac 5K display issue

Discussion in 'iMac' started by pasadena, Feb 3, 2017.

1. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

Well, I guess I'm due for a Genius Bar appointment... The computer has been in sleep mode for a couple of days, and woke up like this.

[​IMG]

Never had any issue with the display (or anything else) before :(

2. nambuccaheadsau macrumors 65816

nambuccaheadsau

Try a SMC reboot, leaving everything unplugged for an hour or so.

3. pasadena thread starter macrumors 6502a

pasadena

It was a hardware issue. When the guy at the Genius bar started it up to check, after it had been shut down for a couple hours, it was still showing part of my desktop :eek:

Anyway, they changed the display and now it's just like new. Thanks AppleCare ! Retail price without guarantee was $600.

4. 960design macrumors 68030

Anything else besides the generic 'it's a hardware issue'? My 5K is still going strong, but want to know what to do / say if the same thing happens to mine.

5. pasadena thread starter macrumors 6502a

pasadena

Nope. All I know is that they changed the display. I simply made an appointment at the Genius bar, and there wasn't much to say. The guy powered the computer up, and he saw exactly what I was seeing. He just asked me if anything had happened that might explain it. Nothing had.

There wasn't *any* warning that something might be wrong. It was in sleep mode for a couple of days, and when I woke it up, boom.

I *am* wondering if my daylight lamp might have done something, I put it on my desk a few weeks ago, on that side of the mac. I suppose I will never know, I don't know enough about how displays work.

6. 960design macrumors 68030

I'm not certain what a daylight lamp is, specifically. I use Daylight ( aka 5000k ) temp bulbs in all of my LED lighting as I feel it makes me more productive, longer working hours without getting fatigued. Seems the 2700k temp lights tire me out faster; probably mental; sorry went on a tangent.

The 'daylight' thing caught my attention and just wanted to be aware if I may be 'cooking' my display.