iMac 5K external monitor

driftless

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
I was wondering what folks are using as an external monitor and if there have been issues running a second screen with iMac 5k?

warrenl

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2015
I have a DELL U2410 24" monitor. I am having issues getting it recognized overtime I reboot. I have remove the display port to dvi adaptor and re-insert it two to three times in the thunderbolt port for it to be recognized. Once it starts working, it's fine.

jerwin

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2015
been running with a cheap 1080p DVI monitor since the beginning. No problems at all, except by comparison, the external one looks a bit nasty.

MrLeek

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2015
Instead of creating my own thread on a very similar topic....

I also have a 5k iMac. Can I connect a Dell U2715H via a Thunderbolt (Mini Display?) connection? I expect I can....but there's a catch.

I also want to be able to connect up another device to that Dell monitor and switch between the two inputs. The monitor comes with a mini DisplayPort and a separate Display Port connection (and the manual suggests I can switch between the two inputs - so I'll connect up my iMac to the MiniDisplayport and use the separate Display Port for the other device.

If I'm reading it correctly I should have few problems but I'd rather get advice first.

http://catalog.technical-innovation.com/avcat/images/documents/other/U2715H_Guide.pdf

6 months in (just about) with my Mac journey and still enjoying it! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.