iMac 5K I7, M295X Owners Feedback / Question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by robertojorge, May 21, 2015.

1. robertojorge macrumors regular

robertojorge

Hey,

Hope that any of you guys that own a rImac could help me out to a conclusion here.

I didn't purchase it wen it came out cause i wasnt sure of the GPU performance, then results came out which are nice, but also the heat / fan noise so that hold me back once again.

After a lot of time of research i see a lot of people complaining about the heat issues and fan noise but all i can see is in the gaming department :) which i dont play games.

My usage is After Effects, Motion 5, Premiere & FCPX and Voice Overs for some of my clients.

Now after the long intro my questions are:

1- Could someone perform a FCPX 1080p render and take a screenshot at the fan/temps while rendering (10 minutes or so clip nothing really fancy)

2- Try to record a voice over in FCPX over a 1080p and check if you get any fan noise at all while recording the voice.

I know it seems silly questions, but been reading of people that are getting high fan speeds just when watching videos online makes me hold back.

Really appreciate any help from you guys that have had the chance to spent time with your machines.
    Thanks
    RJ

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

People getting high temps and fans watching video online is not down to hardware at all. Almost anything built in the last 10 years can play videos online.

The issues come with badly coded websites, flash video and people using chrome all adding up to using far more resources than needed for the process at hand.

3. robertojorge thread starter macrumors regular

robertojorge

Hi Samuel, thanks for the input. Ive read about that problem regarding the chrome and flash which i dont use fortunately :)

Do you have a I7, m295? That you could try those 2 concerns of mine please.

Thanks
    RJ

4. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Yes, the fan can come on when you do a long final render. No, the fan doesn't come on when you're recording or doing other things in fcpx.

5. robertojorge thread starter macrumors regular

robertojorge

Hi thanks for your input. Regarding the rendering i guess that will be ok (do you know how may rpm? just to have an idea)

Regarding the editing and VO recording thats the most important info, cause having a fan ramping when recording VO humm would not be nice :)

I was waiting for a rImac rev b but i guess that will not come this year.

Theres a high chance that i can get a full spec with a great discount this weekend so lets see :)

Thanks for your feedback
    All the Best
    RJ

6. SmallDane macrumors member

SmallDane

Can we expect another great video about it soon? :)

7. robertojorge thread starter macrumors regular

robertojorge

Hey Dan, unfortunately it seems that i wont :( be uploading any video atm, i would as i do with all my gear :) .

Received a phone call from the store, out of stock ( i was too late) and as its a 20% cashback promo and they wont order for the promo (i actually understand why) Oh well going to keep my original plans and wait and see either what comes out around the corner or any other major promos that actually make me advance hehe!!

Non the less i did clear a few more questions that i had, with the help of MR members and YT community members that also have the rImac and helped out.

And i can also sum it up here:
    - Performance wise we already know that its great (at least for my needs)
    - Rendering FCPX 1080p H.264 about 2000rpm (very acceptable) & expect rendering AE +- the same
    - Recording Voice Overs about 1400-1600rpm (great) (my Mic isolates any small sound if any)
    - Gaming 2700rpm (i dont game :) )