Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foster26

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
Hi all, I just got a imac 5k with 512ssd drive. I am coming from a pc windwos 7 that had 3tb internal so I am trying to figure out what I should do. I have alot of photos and videos that I didn't want to put on the new imac to fill up the drive so I currently have them on a synology nas.

So I have 2 questions, one is what program should I use to edit and do all the things to the pictures and videos, mainly pictures actually. Second is if I use the synology I am not sure how to change iphotos directory to go to the synology nas, if i use iphoto. Any thoughts or recommendations would be great. Thanks

UniDoubleU

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2014
Thailand
Hi all, I just got a imac 5k with 512ssd drive. I am coming from a pc windwos 7 that had 3tb internal so I am trying to figure out what I should do. I have alot of photos and videos that I didn't want to put on the new imac to fill up the drive so I currently have them on a synology nas.

So I have 2 questions, one is what program should I use to edit and do all the things to the pictures and videos, mainly pictures actually. Second is if I use the synology I am not sure how to change iphotos directory to go to the synology nas, if i use iphoto. Any thoughts or recommendations would be great. Thanks

Just copy the whole iPhoto library file to the NAS. Then open it once. Simples!

For lots of photos, I recommend using Aperture to manage them. You can use managed library; similar to Lightroom, you manage the file folders. Or Managed Library where you have one huge file.

foster26

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
I tried to move the whole file over to the nas and it did work for a while bit it seems either when I reboot or it goes to sleep when I try to open iphoto from the menu at the bottom it doesn't know where it is and I have to open it from the nas. Also I read at a few places that iphoto isn't really meant to be on a nas, not sure how true that is.

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
The iPhoto library will be slow if you run it from a NAS - latency of ethernet makes it slow. I would use external thunderbolt or USB 3.0 storage for photos and then backup to the Synology using the TimeMachine functionality that's built into it.

There are loads of storage options and it depends how much you want to spend really. It's not too expensive to get an external SSD these days and use that for your photos, connected over Thunderbolt or USB 3.0. If you have a lot of photos and can warrant the cost, the Promise Pegasus 2 arrays are very good, but not cheap. Well at least not cheap enough to be considered as consumer products, compared to enterprise storage they are very cheap.

odedia

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
Just copy the whole iPhoto library file to the NAS. Then open it once. Simples!

For lots of photos, I recommend using Aperture to manage them. You can use managed library; similar to Lightroom, you manage the file folders. Or Managed Library where you have one huge file.

Aperture has reached its End-Of-Life according to Apple. Still works good but for new Cameras and new features, that's not the way to go. Probably better off to with Lightroom at this point, or wait for Apple's new Photos app if it will ever come out.

Ofcourse, you can use Aperture today and migrate to the new app when it is available. Lightroom also has an Aperture import tool now.

Last edited:

UniDoubleU

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2014
Thailand
Aperture has reached its End-Of-Life according to Apple. Still works good but for new Cameras and new features, that's not the way to go. Probably better off to with Lightroom at this point, or wait for Apple's new Photos app if it will ever come out.

Ofcourse, you can use Aperture today and migrate to the new app when it is available. Lightroom also has an Aperture import tool now.

EOL yes, No new features yes. But you still receive Raw Compatibility updates as it's baked into OS X. I'll wait for the Photos app.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Apple doesn't recommend putting either iPhoto or Aperture libraries on NAS. It can cause problems, and generally those want a HFS+ filesystem. Some get by, but it isn't the way to go. Ditto for Lightroom catalogs. Use the boot drive for the libraries/catalogs and reference photos instead. Or use an external.

There are scads of photo editing and cataloging applications; hard to know what to recommend without knowing your needs. iPhoto is very limited; for just editing look at Pixelmator, Acorn or the like. Top of the line would be Lightroom and Photoshop. There's also Corel's Aftershot Pro, and PhaseOne's Capture One Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.