imac 5k issue - Need advice

Discussion in 'iMac' started by foxkoneko, Oct 30, 2015.

  1. foxkoneko macrumors 6502

    Sep 5, 2011
    So screw me, got a 5k imac and it ended up with a dead pixel line or w/e it's called.
    Basically returning it leaves me without an imac for like 1-2 weeks at worst.

    I still got video editing + PS work left to do before returning this and being stuck with my macbook, so I wont be able to return it until mid next week.
    Really not looking forward to reinstalling everything on another imac, especially since I took work off to do it the 1st time.

    How good or bad an idea would it be to order a new 5k imac with same configs to get it next week and then just return the 5k whenever next week? :eek:
  2. G.McGilli macrumors regular

    Oct 19, 2015
    Perfect Idea - that is EXACTLY what I would do. Why be without it? and you can then just return the bad once once the new one arrives...

    You could even install all your software on this bad one - back it up with Time Machine - and then just restore it to the new one when it arrives and you don't need to reinstall anything :)
  3. Buerkletucson macrumors 6502


    Sep 12, 2015
    Exactly what I did with my early 2015 iMac when the new models came out.
    I didn't want to wait for the refund first as it would delay getting the new one, especially with all the hoopla.

    I got the RMA and free shipping label from Apple then ordered my new one immediately...........sent the "old one" back a day or two later.
    Worked out fine....
  4. bankshot macrumors 65816


    Jan 23, 2003
    Southern California
    That's what I would plan to do if mine has a non-fatal defect at initial pickup. You have 14 days to return it, no questions asked. I would rather get some use out of it while waiting for the replacement, as long as it works fine otherwise.

    This is, of course, assuming that you can absorb the added cost of the second machine until the first one is returned and the refund hits your account.
  5. foxkoneko thread starter macrumors 6502

    Sep 5, 2011
  6. sevoman macrumors member


    Jan 23, 2016
    Ancient Egypt

    That's the way to do it. As far as Apple goes, there is no difference to them, as most likely if you are still in your return period, they will ship you a new one and take in the defective one for repair. Either way, they are shipping you a new one. What you suggested just saves you time and makes the accounting much easier. Full refund on your old one, new charge for the new one. Done. Apple returns post to your credit card pretty much in 48 hours. That has been my experience with Apple and my Bank of America Visa.

    Apple (and most good companies) will just exchange for new if you are in your return period and not take in the old one and 'fix' it and send it back. Why? Because they are aware of your options and why get a "fixed" machine back when you can get a new one? In the past 10 years I've had this happen twice with a new iPhone. One had a defective speaker and the other had a sharp/jagged edge on the lightning port. The first I noticed on day 2 took it back and they just handed me a brand new sealed box. The port defect I thought I could live with but gotta annoyed as it would snag on my clothing so I took it back pretty much on the 13 th day. Boom, new one, sealed in box. If your iMac was a store model, they would just hand you a new one. So for them, either way, a new one is going out and a defective one is coming in.

    One last thing, when you go to return your defective mac, don't mention to the store that you are gong to order a new one. It will just complicate things as they may say 'oh we can order for you' or they may offer to process the exchange. Something along those lines. Better to just order it yourself.

Share This Page