Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Risck256

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2016
Italy
Hi Everyone!
I bought the new iMac 5K with the graphics card R9 M380.
until the first power on, when I resize app to fullscreen or open the launchpad, I note some lags.
I would like to know if this comportment is normal (with this video card...).

sorry for my english
thank you
regards

blufrog

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2014
Hi,

This was an issue with the M295X also, but a software update addressed the problem.

I'm running 10.11.6 and no issues here. What are you trying to resize when it seems choppy?

Switching between fullscreen applications isn't totally smooth - it looks like 20 FPS - but it is a smooth 20 FPS.

You might want to try a software update, and see if that helps.

Risck256

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2016
Italy
Hi!
Thank you for the answer.
I updated my mac one week yet.
Any app that i resize to fullscreen cause a lag( animation when you clicking the green button), and yes.... the fps are about 20...
Now with process monitor.... when I resize the windows the animation goes to 5 fps...

blufrog

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2014
I've found lists to be very slow (e.g. scrolling iTunes music list). This seems to be a "feature" of lists and not a problem with the application or the computer. Why lists are slow to update I don't know, but it has something to do with how they are updated as you either scroll them or resize them so you can see more or less information in them.

Risck256

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2016
Italy
I've found lists to be very slow (e.g. scrolling iTunes music list). This seems to be a "feature" of lists and not a problem with the application or the computer. Why lists are slow to update I don't know, but it has something to do with how they are updated as you either scroll them or resize them so you can see more or less information in them.
But the very problem is: when I try in the apple store this animation, like resize or scrolling. It was all fluid and no lags are presents.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
This seems to be some very poor coding on apples part and has been with us since retina screens appered on our macs, hardware wise there is no good reason for this behaviour.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've not noticed any lag, but I'm on the M395 dGPU, perhaps that has just enough horse power to over come that issue

Risck256

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2016
Italy
I've not noticed any lag, but I'm on the M395 dGPU, perhaps that has just enough horse power to over come that issue
If it were a bad code the problem has noticed also on the highest model, or not?

Risck256

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2016
Italy
No, because the performance of the GPU could mask the issue of poor coding.

I understand, thank you a lot.
so, yosemite or the new beta sierra have the same issue? or with the latest beta version, something is change? if someone had tried it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
so, yosemite or the new beta sierra have the same issue? or with the latest beta version, something is change? if someone had tried it.
I don't have the lag, so I can't say.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009

THe lag in OS X on 5K iMacs was fixed in Yosemite because they started using Metal for all the animations in OS X. So if you update to Yosemite you shouldnt experience any of it.

Risck256

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2016
Italy
THe lag in OS X on 5K iMacs was fixed in Yosemite because they started using Metal for all the animations in OS X. So if you update to Yosemite you shouldnt experience any of it.
I have 10.11.6 and lag still present.
Mission control is ok but not the rest
If I set a resolution lower then 5k, all the animations are smooth

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
I have 10.11.6 and lag still present.
Mission control is ok but not the rest
If I set a resolution lower then 5k, all the animations are smooth

strange, not an issue on my machine with radieon R9 M295X

Reactions: hfg

Risck256

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2016
Italy
for this problem I think that the AMD R9 M380 is too lower for this mac... today I will try to change with the speedest model with M390 if it's possibile
(in Italy you have only 8 days for change a product)

Risck256

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2016
Italy
for this problem I think that the AMD R9 M380 is too lower for this mac... today I will try to change with the speedest model with M390 if it's possibile
(in Italy you have only 8 days for change a product)

I tried other iMac, the resize of apps is the same of mine, the only one difference is the animation of fullscreen that goes about 20 FPS in my iMac, I guess that with the new OS this problems are solved.
I only go on internet and I use the iMac for multimedia... but the animation in 2D mustn't laggy!!!!
[doublepost=1470340612][/doublepost]I thought... does it could the HDD? the performance of HDD are not sufficient for this resolution?

Risck256

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2016
Italy
Hi at all!!!!!
I'm happy because I tried to update my os to Sierra and lags are disappeared!!!!
Thanks to all!! :D

Last edited:

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
Hi at all!!!!!
I'm happy because I tried to update my os to Sierra and lags are disappeared!!!!
Thanks to all!! :D
How is your screen, though?

Is it yellow or does it look good and is uniform all the way? I'm interested to know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.