Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jon eames

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2021
Imac 5K late 2015 the hard drive died so i decided to get a 2 TB SSD.

It took me ages to get into internet recovery not sure why but tried 20 times then finally booted. It just kept going to the apple logo with no progress bar.

Any way i went into the SSD and installed OSX Monterey on it then once that update added my latest TM (was catalina) backup. I logged on and added all my login detail and was running perfectly. all apps running and email et

I then shut it down and then powered back on and it has gone back to just the apple logo again and no progress bar. Cant get into internet recovery again. I'm gathering if I keep trying it will finally go in. tried PRAM reset.

Any help really appreciated

TwoH

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2019
To me it sounds like there could be an issue with that 2tb drive. Your best bet would be to physically unplug the 2tb from the machine and see if it boots fine into recovery without it

Jon eames

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2021
thanks for the quick reply. no it doesn't boot properly, it does the exactly the same.

when i used a wired keyboard the caps lock light flashes once then doesn't come back on if that's anything to go by. when you press the caps lock it has no light. I use another keyboard exactly the same. Not sure if this is standard

stradify

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2015
USA
Try booting into Safe Mode. If it boots then run Disk Utility on the 2 TB SSD. If you have DriveDx that would be worth running as well.

Reactions: TwoH

rpmurray

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2017
Back End of Beyond
You could try booting with the Option key held down and then select the external. Once you have it booted, go into System Preferences (Settings) and change the startup drive to the external.

Jon eames

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2021
It doesn't work whatever button i press. Option key, safe mode or Recovery

TwoH

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2019
Try booting into Safe Mode. If it boots then run Disk Utility on the 2 TB SSD. If you have DriveDx that would be worth running as well.
^definitely this if possible.

One other thing I can think of - have you upgraded/changed your ram at all too?
Else do you know if your machine was purely hard drive or if it was a fusion set up and actually has a flash ssd still installed causing issues?

Jon eames

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2021
I have taken both sticks of ram out and tried to boot and does the same things

^definitely this if possible.

One other thing I can think of - have you upgraded/changed your ram at all too?
Else do you know if your machine was purely hard drive or if it was a fusion set up and actually has a flash ssd still installed causing issues?
think you are onto something here, just read my spec and it says fusion drive 128GB and 2TB. do i need to find the fusion drive and take it out ?

TwoH

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2019
I have taken both sticks of ram out and tried to boot and does the same things

think you are onto something here, just read my spec and it says fusion drive 128GB and 2TB. do i need to find the fusion drive and take it out ?
It's possible the flash-side portion of the fusion is faulty and causing further issues with your machine - if possible I would look at removing it. It is at the back of the logicboard however and requires a full teardown

Jon eames

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2021
yep on it now will come back with the outcome, thanks mate thats great

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
It's possible the flash-side portion of the fusion is faulty and causing further issues with your machine - if possible I would look at removing it. It is at the back of the logicboard however and requires a full teardown
The flash part of my 2014 iMac 5K's Fusion Drive was dying according to DriveDx, so I opened up the machine and replaced the SATA spinner hard drive with a SATA SSD and left it at that. I didn't dive into replacing that blade SSD and just reformatted it and left it as a weird little 128 GB drive I never used.

If you DO go down the road of replacing the blade SSD, there's a great thread about it here:

Jon eames

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2021
The flash part of my 2014 iMac 5K's Fusion Drive was dying according to DriveDx, so I opened up the machine and replaced the SATA spinner hard drive with a SATA SSD and left it at that. I didn't dive into replacing that blade SSD and just reformatted it and left it as a weird little 128 GB drive I never used.

If you DO go down the road of replacing the blade SSD, there's a great thread about it here:
My blade isn’t coming up at all in disk utility so guessing that I have to take mine out for it to boot. Annoyingly

stradify

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2015
USA
There are good reports on the 1TB WD770 NVME blade as a replacement for your iMac at the link Ignatius365 provided.

I see it's still for sale over on Amazon for $60:

Jon eames

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2021
Thanks for all the information everyone is was the fusion drive, stripped it down and its back together and working

Reactions: TwoH
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.