iMac 5K LCD bleeding?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by miza.org, Nov 23, 2014.

1. miza.org, Nov 23, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2014

miza.org macrumors newbie

Is it just my unit that has some bad LCD bleeding and bending or do you have this too??

What should I do about this?

Attached Files:

2. ra004e macrumors regular

Those light bleed areas top left and lower right seem pretty consistent from what I've seen on these panels, I've had two so far and both exhibited the same light bleed characteristics. You can try massaging the panel a bit with microfiber cloth. I think the combination panel mounting and glass covering is contributing to issue. There are some other threads discussing this issue, you might want to see where yours compares.

3. Lone Deranger macrumors 68000

Lone Deranger

I'd return it in a heartbeat. That's unacceptable.

4. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

Yep. That one is going back.. Totally unacceptable.

5. miza.org thread starter macrumors newbie

what is the best way to handle the return for replacement process for an issue like this?

6. WilliamG macrumors G3

You'd likely never find a 5K iMac acceptable then.

What brightness level was that photo taken at? If it's max, then that looks pretty good given they ALL have bleed. But it's up to you. Call Apple, but be prepared your replacement will be the same/slightly better/slightly worse.

If this sort of thing is bothersome, return it completely.

7. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

I would have to agree. It seems like these backlight bleed issues along with a whole host of other screen uniformity issues are simply a byproduct of modern LED back lit displays. It's a shame.

Even my two cheapo Asus 22" LED monitors at work exhibit similar uniformity issues. My wife's Acer 27" LED monitor does too. My 2013 iMac 27" has similar issues too, but it's not nearly as pronounced - possibly due to binning and the glass panel being laminated on. After 3 screen exchanges (related to dead pixels and weird smudges and what not) I gave up.

I've come to realize that I can play the "swap it out for something possibly better or possibly worse" game all day long. I also realize that under normal conditions, I don't even notice any issues! It's only when I go looking for them that I find any.

8. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

This is the third thread of the kind, they all have some backlight bleed, mine included. If you want that beautiful 5K Retina display you'll just have to tolerate some bleed, the issue has been around for years and won't be fixed until OLED replaces LCD.

9. WilliamG macrumors G3

And that is EXACTLY it. I was like OMG when I first saw the light bleed, since I SPECIFICALLY tested for it on a black screen in a dark room with MAX brightness. I realized that 99.9% of the time under normal conditions I never notice it, and it's much, much better than my old 2012 iMac that washed out significantly at any slight angles with dark material. The 5K iMac is clearly using a newer panel type that reduces that crazy viewing angle "glow".

It's hard for those who don't have a lot of experience with backlight bleed (different to glow) and dished out a ton of cash on a new 5K iMac expecting "perfection." It's really when you put it into perspective that you realize there's no point getting worked up about it when it's not an issue 99.9% under normal conditions for MOST people.

10. abley22 macrumors member

Cant see so mutch bleed on mine with black pics, but i find a pixel or something that is lighting white, and if i remove my head to the side then its not visible but then it got visible again, not from every angle but almost.
    What could that be?

Is it worth to trade it in because of that? I would never see it if i didn't reed this thread, but if i could get more of them i would like to get a new one.

11. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Totally acceptable according to Apple standards. This is the usual quality of Retina Macbook displays. You can enter the screen lottery, though, if you want. Maybe after 5 or 6 replacements, you'll end with a better one.

12. miza.org, Nov 26, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2014

miza.org thread starter macrumors newbie

100%. I can live with it as I only notice it when booting up and shutting down. That's the only time the screen is dark. Most of the time is white and bright, rich in color and vivid in texture.

Dude that's terrible. I would be upset if I had a dead/on pixel. Usually you can fix it by poking it with a tip of a pen but I wouldn't recommend doing it on this glass surface.

Not worth the hassle and stress. I'll accept it and forgive apple for this one. It's still a stellar display and all in one computer. I wouldn't buy anything else.

13. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Wise decision. However, if Apple brings a more reliable display in the near future, I'll ask for another replacement.

14. kkishfy, Feb 10, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2015

kkishfy macrumors newbie

I had the same problem with (4) machines from December 28, 2014 - February 10, 2015. The screen is completely unacceptable, especially if you are a graphics designer, video editor or gamer where you work with dark backgrounds. The screen bleed problem is very distracting to look at.

In my opinion, this system needs to be revisited by engineers. It's not right to put the customer through this hassle of exchanges, delays and inconveniences where these issues should have been noticed/fixed in pre-production by Apple Quality Control Engineers.