Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cruciarius

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2013
Massachusetts
I feel silly asking such a simple question, but I can't figure this out.

So I recently bought an iMac 5K to replace a mid-2011 Mac Mini. When I got the Mini, I got an Apple remote, so I didn't bother buying another when I got the iMac 5K.

I haven't gone through the process of unpairing the Apple remote to the Mini, though typing this I'm assuming I'll have to do that to get this to work. Can't seem to pair the remote to the iMac 5K. I held the menu + next buttons down for a long time and nothing happened. I've barely used the remote and the battery looks brand new, so knowing the batteries last years even when in use, I doubt it's dead.

So do I have to unpair it from the Mini first? Having issues with the Mini, so I can't just unpair it right now or I'd try it and see if I can pair it with the iMac 5K.

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
I feel silly asking such a simple question, but I can't figure this out.

So I recently bought an iMac 5K to replace a mid-2011 Mac Mini. When I got the Mini, I got an Apple remote, so I didn't bother buying another when I got the iMac 5K.

I haven't gone through the process of unpairing the Apple remote to the Mini, though typing this I'm assuming I'll have to do that to get this to work. Can't seem to pair the remote to the iMac 5K. I held the menu + next buttons down for a long time and nothing happened. I've barely used the remote and the battery looks brand new, so knowing the batteries last years even when in use, I doubt it's dead.

So do I have to unpair it from the Mini first? Having issues with the Mini, so I can't just unpair it right now or I'd try it and see if I can pair it with the iMac 5K.

It won't work, the Apple remote uses infrared technology, current iMacs do not have infrared therefore there is no way for the two devices to communicate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.