iMac 5k RAM: from 8 GB to 16 GB

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gglillo, Dec 27, 2014.

1. gglillo macrumors newbie

Hi,
    is it possible to extend the ram of the 5k imac only adding two 4GB cards? Or have i to replace the 4X2 with 8x2 cards?
    thanks

2. AR86 macrumors member

Should be considering if you buy it with the stock 8gb of ram it's normally in via two 4gb sticks.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not sure how Apple fills them out, but if the past is any indicator, they used 4 2gb memory modules to give you 8GB of ram, so you'd need to replace them if that is the case.

4. tyche macrumors 6502

Standard 5k iMac come with 2 x 4GB RAM which leaves 2 spots open. I haven't seen Apple sell 2GB memory on an iMac in a long time.

So you have 2 slots free to add another 2 x 4GB (16 GB total) or 2 x 8GB (24 GB total)

5. UniDoubleU macrumors regular

UniDoubleU

Apple gives you 4 slots total. 0 + 4 GB + 0 + 4 GB configuration.

I put in 2 8 GB rams totalling at 8 GB + 4 GB + 8 GB + 4 GB = 24 GB.

In case you really only want 16 GB maybe you can just stick one 8 GB ram in? As far as I know the rams aren't dual-channel anyways so no harm in trying.

Anybody can confirm if the 0 + 4 GB + 8 GB + 4 GB configuration works?

6. dyn macrumors 68030

They have been outfitting their machines with pairs for a few years now which means 2x4GB for the base 8GB, 2x8GB for the 16GB version and 4x8GB for the 32GB version (due to lack of 16GB modules). This is also shown in the online Apple store (the part where you can configure the additional options/upgrades).

If you buy the base version you can add two 4GB modules since the iMac comes with 4 slots and only 2 of them are populated.