iMac 5K Retina silent majority... dark, cool, handsome

Discussion in 'iMac' started by hkoster1, Jan 11, 2015.

1. hkoster1 macrumors regular

Thought I might chime in here with all those iMac 5K problem threads going.

My base i5/290 model with 512GB SSD and 16GB RAM, title says it all, runs silent and cool and has a perfect screen with no yellowing or backlight bleed. When running my Trainz Simulator game for hours on end, or when ripping a DVD in Handbrake, fan speed never rises above the default inaudible 1200RPM, while GPU temperature stays below 60 degrees C.

I'm glad I swapped my nMP + Dell UP2414Q for this beauty. I'm also glad I withstood the temptation to go for the i7/295 combo.:)

Have fun!

2. robgendreau macrumors 68040

You go. I'm a happy camper with mine as well. I'd go so far as to say it's one of the more problem-free refreshes of a model Apple has done.

3. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I'm sure you have a little backlight bleed, you just haven't seen it yet. Glad you are enjoying it though, my experience has been mostly positive as well.

4. retinaimac macrumors member

retinaimac

most of the problems are with the 295 gpu. I am base model also with no problems and almost no backlight bleed. I am very happy however, it wont be long before someone comes along and says that "bleed is there, youre just not as sensitive to it" or they'll want you to prove that you have no issues with heat and gpu. Its obvious that some do have real issues but it drives me nuts the way that some nit pick to death and constantly bitch amount the most minuscule of issues. Im happy with mine and could care less if the screen bleeds with the brightness at max in a pitch black room during a full moon on the third friday on the month while petting the cat. Really? Anyway, glad to be here with this machine and I appreciate everyone here, even the fussy ones. hahaha:D

----------

dangit redheeler, you posted before I could rant. lol:)

5. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

:p

6. RageDaddy macrumors member

I did go with M290X also, happy that i did. 250€ more for +20c and 2300 rpm fan?

How about no!

7. GatorGhost macrumors regular

GatorGhost

I jumped on the base model and added 8 gigs of ram. I have noticed none of the issues on this forum on my system. Very happy overall.

8. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

If I turn all the lights off, show a black screen and take a picture of the screen with my iPhone, I can see a tiny bit of backlight bleed. To the naked eye however, I can't see it at all.

My 5K iMac is working great so far. No issues. I have the upgraded i7 with the 295x. I've heard the fan turn on a few times during the migration and when running Geekbench but it's hardly a problem.

With all the reports of problems on this site, you would think the 5K iMac is a lemon but I think it's far from that. Mine is stable, quiet, fast and looks great!

9. hojoon0724 macrumors regular

i5/290/24gb ram and running another Thunderbolt 27 alongside.
    No major problems.
    Just mission control is choppy

10. Branskins macrumors 65816

Is it possible to have a screen with no yellowing/warmer areas?

I am beginning to think some people are just more yellow sensitive than others and can see it while others cannot.

11. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Same thoughts here, although I'm sure it does still vary from display to display. I can definitely see a large area of comparatively cooler color temperature on mine.

12. forg0t macrumors member

4.0 i7, m295x happy camper here as well :]

Although I do regret not getting a bigger hard drive :[, running Windows over thunderbolt isn't as problem free as I'd hoped.

13. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I am happy too with my base model iMac. It runs fast, has a perfect screen and I love the sharpness of text and videos..This is the best Mac I have ever owned.

14. yjchua95 macrumors 604

My 4.0/32/512/M295X with Windows in an external USB drive works fine.

This was what I did to get Windows 8.1 in UEFI running over a TB/USB external drive:

Connect external drive to Windows VM. You must have a Windows VM in VMware/Parallels.

What you need:
    install.wim file (obtain this from your Windows ISO)

Open elevated cmd.exe

Note: All commands aren't case sensitive, including pathway to files.

Type diskpart
    Type list disk
    Take note of the disk you want to select
    Type select disk 1 (if your disk is Disk 1)
    Type clean
    Type convert gpt
    Type create partition EFI size=100
    Type format quick fs=fat32 label=EFI
    Type assign letter=S
    Type create partition primary
    Type format fs=ntfs quick label=W2G (or any other name you wish for label)
    Type assign letter=E
    Type exit

Open up File Explorer. In your C drive, create a new folder named WIN2GO.
    Put the install.wim file in this folder

Back in cmd.exe:
    Type dism /apply-image /imagefile:C:\WIN2GO\install.wim /index:1 /applydir:E:\ (this process will take quite a while)
    Type E:\Windows\System32\bcdboot E:\Windows /s S: /f UEFI

Restart your entire Mac. After the chime, hold down Option and when prompted to select your boot drive, select EFI Boot.

Proceed installation normally.

After installation, install Boot Camp drivers.

15. pollycat macrumors newbie

happy camper

Maxed out 4Ghz i7 / 32GB RAM / 1TB SSD / 295 video card

Very satisfied user for two months now.

If there is backlight bleed or yellowing on my screen, I haven't noticed it yet.
    Very stable system, no hiccups or sluggishness at all.

Fan does come on if encoding in Handbrake, but not annoying, just an expected "whooshing" noise that dies down immediately once the encoding is finished.
    Normal operation = I can't hear any noise from the machine.

Would highly recommend!

The screen alone is a joy to use.

16. forg0t macrumors member

I had Windows 7 on my SSD over thunderbolt and at first it was smooth but lately it seemed like I couldn't quickly open things immediately after bootup without it hanging. Now I reinstalled OS X so I can have a clean EFI drive and am just gonna partition my tiny SSD :p.

I have a mybook 6TB thuderbolt raid-0 where I keep all my heavy mac stuff. So it works out in the end. But thanks for the instructions, if I decide I need more space I'll definitely come back.

17. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Installing using the installer into a Thunderbolt drive directly won't play nice. I made that mistake with my Buffalo HD-PATU3 with a Samsung 840 Evo SSD inside.

So I took the slightly longer route to get Windows into it.

18. forg0t macrumors member

It wouldn't let me at all. I used winclone and just transferred it over that way, worked perfectly but it costed me.