iMac 5K, rMBP, or something else?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by capitanbuzo, Nov 19, 2014.

1. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

Im not usually the type that asks opinions regarding what I should get but I'm stuck. Quite honestly, whatever I get I won't end up pushing it to the extreme. I don't do photo (well I dabble in it but it's not my career) or video work. I might do some gaming from time to time, but that's not often. I do all my work on my work laptop and my browsing on my iPad.

Right now I have a 2010 15" MacBook Pro 2.66 i7 and that thing has gotten slow. I will hook it up to my TV to stream or watch something and it always pinwheels at something. I also have a 2009 Mac Pro 2.66 quad core with a flashed graphics card (don't remember which ATI is in there). Even though It has been a beast throughout the years, it's starting to age (and the USB wifi dongle I think won't let it turn off, and will cause it to freeze up if I pull it out. If someone has any info on that, it would be much appreciated. It's a NewerTech Max Power I believe).

So this brings me to my possible courses of action. I would like something that will last me 5 years or so and that has a good display. The 5K iMac looks great even though I never thought I'd buy an iMac. If I went that route, I'd be looking at spending $2800 or so via B&H (thanks for no sales tax) for the base model upgraded to the 512 SSD. I have wiggle room for that other graphics card if that makes it worth it. My next option would be a 15" rMBP. I'm not sure how necessary the discrete graphics card (so thoughts between the base and middle tier would be much appreciated) but either option, I'm looking at $1800 or $2350, substantially cheaper than the 5K iMac. I could use that for a second monitor but I'd be concerned with the resolution/quality compared to these running in retina/native resolution. Last option would be getting a Mac Pro, since that will be powerful for a while but it's the most expensive.

So what are your thoughts? I'm partially concerned about loosing out on portability if I go the iMac/Mac Pro route but my iPad (and work computer) are really the guys pulling all the weight. I'm also open to waiting some for new technology, such as the gen 2 of the 5K iMac or Skylake (because that's a big deal apparently).

2. agaskew macrumors 6502

Hard to know, really. If you don't need the portable power, why buy a laptop?

Mac Pro means you have to spend more money on a decent display.

Perhaps the 5K iMac is the best fit right now...I'd only suggest waiting a couple of months to see if it presents any of the traditional "1st Gen Apple Product" issues. In the meantime, if your current MBP does not have an SSD in it, putting one in will lengthen its life considerably :)

3. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

I think you're suffering from MAS (Mac Acquisition Syndrome) :cool:

Aren't you able do install a better GPU on your Mac Pro? And a better pair of processors?

What geekbench score can you get from a new iMac? Is it possible to spend less and get a better score from your Mac Pro?

4. capitanbuzo thread starter macrumors 65816

I already flashed a new GPU for my Mac Pro. I'm just currently fed up with it since I can't figure out why I can't turn it off without holding down the power button. She I click shutdown, it just restarts. I'm not sure about the processor. I only have the model with one socket so I don't think I can put pair in there. Also, RAM for it is pretty expensive compared to non ECC ram.

MAS seems to be the issue haha. 4-5 years without a new computer has me itching for a new one. Right now, I'm currently debating if the proper course of action is just to upgrade to a SSD in my MacBook Pro and upgrade it to 8GB of RAM and wait for Skylake for either an iMac or MacBook Pro. I went to the Apple Store and man, that 5K monitor looks amazing.