iMac 5K screen blobs issue

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MrGimper, May 22, 2017.

1. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

For the 2nd time in about 15 months, my 2014 retina iMac needs to go to Apple to have the screen replaced due to dark patches/blobs in the lower left and right corners. Each is about 2 inches in diameter. I have AppleCare but the last replacement was done outside of that by Apple (no idea why, they said it would be done if I had AC or not). Anyone know if Apple operate a policy of having the whole machine swapped out for repeated faults of the same type?

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Yes, they will eventually replace the entire Mac. Happens the third or fourth time you have to take it in for a problem.

3. MrGimper thread starter macrumors 601

MrGimper

Thanks .... taking it in later today so will see what happens. It's a concern that there's something else inside the mac causing the screen to mess up, and this will happen again in a year or so.

4. BigJohno macrumors 65816

Do you have a photo of your screen blob? I noticed mine a few weeks ago and have been too busy to take it to Apple. At first I thought it might be from me blowing compressed air into the grills to clear out some dust but after reading this I it might not be so.

https://ibb.co/bMuGJF