iMac 5k Screen burn-in (High Sierra)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jmeas, Sep 26, 2017.

1. jmeas macrumors regular

jmeas

I've had a 2016 5k iMac for about a year now, and have never had a screen burn-in problem. Today, I was reading a review of High Sierra, and left the computer to go continue reading it on my iPad. The brightness wasn't very bright, and the screen likely went to sleep shortly after I left (20mins is what the screen saver was set to).

When I got back, I noticed a dim image on the lock screen, and I wasn't sure if it was a semi-transparent display of what was behind the lock screen. I logged in, and noticed that, yes, I had a browser page open with the High Sierra review that was clearly the same as the burn-in. But if I open up a pure grey image in google image search, I still see the shapes of the page.

I never noticed this on my iMac before, and it only happened after installing High Sierra.

I guess I have a few questions:

1. does your iMac have screen burn-in, or have you had an iMac with burn-in? What did you do?
    2. are there steps I could take to resolve this (i.e. should i take it to an apple store? I do have AppleCare)
    3. is it possible that High Sierra could have caused this, or is it more likely that it was just coincidence that I noticed it?

The webpage had a grid of image snapshots showing features of High Sierra, which is why it was so noticeable.

Anyway, it's been about 10 minutes, and as I'm using it the image is slowly fading, but it's definitely still there. This computer was, you know, $3.5k or so, so I'm worried about the problem getting worse or something.

Thanks for reading!

2. Mockletoy macrumors newbie

Mockletoy

What you’re describing is called image retention or persistence. Unlike burn in it’s annoying but generally only temporary.

Here is an Apple support page about it.

3. jmeas thread starter macrumors regular

jmeas

Thanks for the help, Mockletoy. It’s a relief to know that this is generally just temporary.

4. phpmaven, Sep 30, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017

phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

While it may not be permanent burn in, the experience of myself and many others is that it will get worse and worse over time and eventually get to the point where it drives you nuts. At that point you can take it in and easily demonstrate the problem and have the screen replaced. That’s what myself and many others have done.

5. jmeas thread starter macrumors regular

jmeas

Well, that's a bummer. Good to know that they replace it, though. I have AppleCare, so I guess toward the end of the Apple Care timeframe I'll take it in to get a new screen :)

Thanks for the help, y'all!

6. torana355 macrumors 68020

Yep the LG LCD panels in the iMacs are rubbish, they suffer from serious Image retention. We have over 10 of them at work and they all have it, also have one at home which has it. Im sure there are people that have been lucky and not experienced it, hopefully you get a good replacement.