iMac 5k Skylake?

Jjjmmf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2015
Hello All,
First time iMac buyer here. I'm ready to purchase a 27 in. 5k retina iMac. Any chance these are getting Skylake? Should I wait until November or is it know that these units won't be upgraded?

Thanks for any input!

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Apple is on the hook with Intel. Unless Intel releases a processor for the iMac then no. My opinion is we're done seeing any and all hardware updates from Apple for 2015.

Last edited:

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Hello All,
First time iMac buyer here. I'm ready to purchase a 27 in. 5k retina iMac. Any chance these are getting Skylake? Should I wait until November or is it know that these units won't be upgraded?

Thanks for any input!
We just don't know, intels release schedule is a mess and making sense of it is exhausting, some info in el capitan suggests a 4K 21 inch iMac is fairly imminent but really I have yet to make enough sense of it all to give a great guess (and they may use broadwell). The mobile processors are slightly easier to work out so we have some idea on the macbooks.

theluggage

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2011
Should I wait until November or is it know that these units won't be upgraded?
There's a roundup of the chips here: http://www.macrumors.com/2015/09/02/intel-skylake-notebooks-desktops/ - so there's a chance that there will be an update by the end of the year but its not certain.

Having Skylake is not going to make a night & day difference to performance, especially in a desktop: more important are the things that (may) come with it, particularly Thunderbolt 3/USB C and possible support for external 5k displays.

Usual advice holds: if you urgently need a new computer, get it now; if you're just yearning for that "new computer" smell wait for the next announcement.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
Ha it's skylake but no TB3 or USB-C. I was waiting and got one since it finally udpated and got to admit, performance feels snappier. Although I had one hard lockup and reset. Hopefully it's not going to continue.