iMac 5k + Surface Pro 3?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by fob, Sep 24, 2015.

1. fob macrumors member

fob

I am contemplating between a iMac 5k + beater laptop versus a 15 rmbp + 4k or ultra wide 21:9 monitor setup. I need a mobile device to do programming on the go and nothing more fancy. Have anyone tried xcode on SP3 through virtual machine? A macbook is out of the question with an iMac.

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Have you considered a refurbished MacBook Pro (non-retina) from the Apple Store refurb area?

3. MacRazySwe macrumors 6502a

Why anyone would suggest the Non-Retina MacBook Pro, in this day and age, is simply beyond me.

You likely won't be needing plenty of storage on the go, as you would have an iMac at home. That said, I would go with a used MacBook Air in 11 or 13 inch form, depending on your needs. From 2012 and onwards. Heck even the 2011 would do if you could live without USB 3.0.

Edit, I actually had the iMac + MBA combo, with the 13" MBA. It was absolutely perfect for me. Now I'm using the rMBP and I sometimes miss the portability of the Air, granted it's not that much of a difference of course.

4. yukyuklee macrumors 6502

yukyuklee

You just questioned why, but you are telling him to get a MBA?

5. MacRazySwe macrumors 6502a

Oh yes, absolutely! Should come as no surprise really.

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Of course it's a surprise you told him not to get one retina machine but buy a different one thats about the same performance....

OP I don't really understand why you won't consider the macbook but will consider the SP3 they are a similar price once you add a keyboard and get the specs to the same level on the SP3.

SP3 with keyboard is currently $1280 (i5 8GB 256GB) thats with $150 discount on the microsoft store.

A base level macbook is $1300 (core M 8GB 256GB) on the apple website.

7. yukyuklee macrumors 6502

yukyuklee

processor is faster on the SP3 than the macbook core M. But the SP3 is also heavier than the macbook

8. MacRazySwe macrumors 6502a

Please read again, I hardly advise against the NON-Retina MBP. The MBP which uses a spinning disk in 2015. The MBP with a 1280x800 display. The MBP which weighs 2kg. The MBP which hasn't been updated since 2012.

As the OP is looking at the SP3, it's evident that he values a portable machine highly! Can you see that? And the MBA is the absolute best combination of power and portability - IF you can live without the Retina display! It's also the most affordable laptop in Apples range, and the OP is looking for a cheaper alternative (at least that's my idea of a beater laptop). Does it make sense now?....

9. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

No not really the retina rMBP is only 1/2 a pound heavier, lasts almost as long on battery these days and is actually a bit smaller footprint wise. Once you spec them out to the same RAM etc they are close in price and the retina display, extra thunderbolt port, HDMI, better CPU and GPU is a bargain at an extra $100. Once you start looking at refurbs or deals at best buy and B&H they are almost as cheap as the air.

10. pjfan macrumors regular

OP - your concept of powerful machine at home and a persistent remote connection from your mobile device ought to be great. Arguably, having one ecosystem might make things easier, but if your a CLI type of person, who cares.

My advice to any developer is have a great screen and great keyboard. you decide what that means to your mobile device... I can't stand the SP's keyboard, but I also own annoying mechanical keyboards (which is why I'm enthused about the rMB). I agree with Samuelson, the rMB seems to be better value in your case, rather than the SP3. The processing is being done elsewhere, and the machine is really portable (the exclusive use you're investing in). The keyboard and screen seal the deal for me, but that's more of a personal choice.

11. fob thread starter macrumors member

fob

What is the raw performance difference for intensive tasks between a base rmbp 15 and base imac 5k? How will the two fare in terms of longetivity?

12. cruftuun macrumors newbie

Upgradeability.

13. MacRazySwe macrumors 6502a

Hahaha did you even see my sig?! No need to lecture me on the rMBP. I have used mine for a year now. Prior to the 13" rMBP I had a 13" MBA for two years. So, as you can see, I've had first hand experience from using both.

I assume you have owned both machines too then?

First of all, let me tell you, the rMBP has an amazing display. Everything is crystal-clear and it's a joy to read on it. However - and this is a big one - it's not without compromise, the Retina MacBook Pro lags, it lags a lot when browsing through PDFs etc. The lag in Safari has been reduced with OS X updates, but it's not perfect. In day to day use (and I'm not talking video-editing, Final Cut, etc etc) my old MacBook Air felt like the faster machine. Bare in mind, it had 4GB Ram, a lousy GPU and a 1.7GHz CPU. The rMBP I have has 8GB Ram, Iris GPU and the 2.4GHz CPU.

So there's that, the MBA feels quicker. Not only that, but it's also lighter, trust me you do notice the weight. The OP could even go for the 11" model and have an even more portable machine. (0.5kg lighter than 13" rMBP)

Last but not least, it's a lot cheaper. You do realize there are deals to be made on the MBA as well right...? I've seen them go for $799 brand new. I'm sure you can find used ones for $500 in great condition. That's A LOT cheaper than the rMBP and the rMB! I don't get some of you who consider a 12" rMB to be a beater laptop...?! It's $1200 FFS.

So, there you have it. There is no better combination of affordability, portability and performance, than a MBA, if you can live without the Retina-screen.

...and why am I using the rMBP then? Couldn't stand the display of the Air, had been waiting for a rumored Retina Air, but at the time caved in and bought the rMBP. The display is worth the trade off in weight and UI performance for me. But then again, I wasn't looking to save money, and I like to be using new technology, so I was drawn to the Retina-screen.

14. yukyuklee macrumors 6502

yukyuklee

were they both on yosemite? My wife has my old mid 2011 MBA i7 still works well. I'd personally go with the MBA rather than the non retina macbook pro lol I'm caved in as well and got myself a early 2015 mbp 13" I love it and I do see the lag. I use a mid 2011 27" i7 iMac for a desktop