iMac 5k: Upgrading the SSD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by -BigMac-, May 29, 2016.

1. -BigMac- macrumors 6502a

-BigMac-

Hi Guys.

Install Guide
    Has anyone done this?
    How did you find the process?

Thanks!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not on a new computer that's under warranty. To risky for me.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Agreed with maflynn above.

If you wanted an SSD in the iMac, you should have BOUGHT the iMac with the SSD already installed.

Having said that, if it's an iMac with a platter-based HDD inside, I'm wondering if it has the necessary connector for a PCI-e based blade SSD "in place"? (others will have to answer that)

If you really want SSD speeds, here's the cheapest, easiest, fastest, and SAFEST way to do so:

Get an external USB3 SSD, plug it in, and set it up to be your "external booter".

There's next-to-nothing involved in doing this, particularly if you buy something like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00ZTRY532?tag=delt-20
    Just velcro it to the back of the iMac's stand, where it will be out-of-the-way and all-but invisible.

An externally-mounted SSD in a USB3 enclosure will run at about 80-85% of the speed of an internally-mounted SATA SSD.
    Yes, it's a little slower, but hardly noticeable (if noticeable at all) in normal day-to-day operations.

Again, do it this way, and you'll be amazed at how easy it can be.

4. -BigMac- thread starter macrumors 6502a

-BigMac-

Thank you so much for the suggestion, this will definitely be the best way to go about it.
    Is there much of a speed difference between usb3 or thunderbolt ssd?

5. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

A few people have done speed test online. But, to me, SSD over 3.0 USB, is pretty fast. Plus, I believe you can find more enclosures for SSD to USB 3.0, than you can for Thunderbolt. But, others can correct me if I'm wrong...

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

This article is a little dated, but I find it is still useful: How fast is USB 3.0 really? I'd say price and performance of the USB option makes it a winner.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Another similar test here showing they are very close. I agree, for most cases USB3 is the way to go.