Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
Is anyone on here running both of these? (In a dual display config.)
I just tested this set up in an Apple Store, and to my eyes the quality of the LG display was not up to that of the 5K iMac. The colour hue was slightly different, and more importantly, the text was slightly darker, heavier, and very slightly blurry in comparison to the iMac screen.

I guess there is some risk that the LG 5K in the Apple store was faulty...but it was their display model!

EDIT: both were set to identical resolution.

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Is anyone on here running both to these? (Dual display config.)
I just tested this set up in an Apple Store, and to my eyes, the quality of the LG display was not up to that of the 5K iMac. The colour hue was slightly different, and more importantly, the text was slightly darker, heavier, and very slightly blurry in comparison to the iMac screen.

I guess there is some risk that the LG 5K in the Apple store was faulty...but it was their display model!
The iMac uses the same LG 5k panel as the standalone display. It may be that the external display wasn't set to the correct resolution.

Reactions: Spectrum

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
The iMac uses the same LG 5k panel as the standalone display. It may be that the external display wasn't set to the correct resolution.
Both were set to identical resolution. The screen also looked different when the LG was connected to a 2018 Mac mini (compared to the 5K iMac).

Does you have a link to any evidence that the LG and retina iMac use the same panel?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Both were set to identical resolution. The screen also looked different when the LG was connected to a 2018 Mac mini (compared to the 5K iMac).

Does you have a link to any evidence that the LG and retina iMac use the same panel?
Well there's this article: https://www.imore.com/imac-vs-macbook-pro-lg-ultrafine-5k-display-which-should-you-get
It's not definite, but it's very unlikely LG makes 2 different display panels with the same resolution and size for usage in these 2 products.

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
Well there's this article: https://www.imore.com/imac-vs-macbook-pro-lg-ultrafine-5k-display-which-should-you-get
It's not definite, but it's very unlikely LG makes 2 different display panels with the same resolution and size for usage in these 2 products.
"Still, there are some differences that can't be barred. Namely, to my eyes, the LG UltraFine 5K display isn't as glossy as the iMac display. It has a different finish that makes it look more matte, especially at some angles. Although there are people who would consider that an advantage, I think it comes at the expense of some of the contrast. Your mileage, of course, may vary."

I also could see a difference in screen surface. The LG is not matte finish, but it did look different to the iMac. Surprisingly for me (I historically haven't liked glossy displays), I thought the iMac finish was nicer and more uniform when viewed from different angles. I actually felt that the LG displayed more colour shift when off-angle. To say I was unimpressed by the 5K LG would be an understatement.

Still hoping to find some users to see if this is a consistent difference - or whether this is just a dud model in the Apple Store.

Last edited:

Porkchop Sandwich

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2017
I have the LG 5K and you won't find me complaining about the overall quality of the panel, because it's fantastic. I do however agree that it looks better under the glass that's used on the 27" iMac. To say the image is 'better' though, not so much. Apple's iMac has been wildly successful, and remains successful despite what some feel is a dated design, for a reason.

It seems like the panel under the glass Apple uses brings out contrast or something..the image just seems to 'pop' more.

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
It seems like the panel under the glass Apple uses brings out contrast or something..the image just seems to 'pop' more.
Perhaps this is the issue. To me the LG did seem a bit like I was reading through a plastic surface that was slightly blurring the fine details. By comparison, the iMac just seems ultra clear.
Maybe the screen coating is thinner on the iMac? And less prone to diffraction effects if bonded directly to the LCD?

Reactions: Darajavahus

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
To correct some of the above posts - the LG 5K display uses the same panel as the 2015 27" iMac. The 2017 iMac uses a different panel, the differences, I believe, are a brighter backlight and slightly better colour accuracy.

Porkchop Sandwich

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2017
Perhaps this is the issue. To me the LG did seem a bit like I was reading through a plastic surface that was slightly blurring the fine details. By comparison, the iMac just seems ultra clear.
Maybe the screen coating is thinner on the iMac? And less prone to diffraction effects if bonded directly to the LCD?

I'm inclined to think the panel you were looking at had a problem. I say that because the LG I have is about as crystal clear and sharp as one could possibly imagine.

To correct some of the above posts - the LG 5K display uses the same panel as the 2015 27" iMac. The 2017 iMac uses a different panel, the differences, I believe, are a brighter backlight and slightly better colour accuracy.

Can't comment on where you derived that info but, if I recall correctly, the LG5K has identical specs to today's 5K iMac (i.e., color gamut, nit brightness, etc).

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
I'm inclined to think the panel you were looking at had a problem. I say that because the LG I have is about as crystal clear and sharp as one could possibly imagine.

Can't comment on where you derived that info but, if I recall correctly, the LG5K has identical specs to today's 5K iMac (i.e., color gamut, nit brightness, etc).
Maybe it did - that is possible. Or a different date of manufacture? Anyway, what I'm still hoping for is for a user of a 2017 iMac who has one side by side to see if they have also noticed this. As I said: based on the store sample there is no way I would by one. It had characteristics of screens you see on budget laptops.

There was another one attached to a 2014 Mac Pro...and that did look similar at a glance (someone was using it). However, I've just checked specs and Apple state that the LG 5K can't even be driven at full resolution from the Mac Pro. So that must have looked terrible under close inspection...

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Other way round, the LG 5K uses the 2017 iMac panel, which means that between the release of the LG 5K and the 2017 iMac, the LG had the better display. The LG has 500 nits of brightness, which the iMac didn't gain until the 2017 model.

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
Other way round, the LG 5K uses the 2017 iMac panel, which means that between the release of the LG 5K and the 2017 iMac, the LG had the better display. The LG has 500 nits of brightness, which the iMac didn't gain until the 2017 model.
Well.. At least in the Apple Store I visited, the quality was just not on par at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.