iMac 5K vs Macbook Pro 15" + LG 5K for professional work?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mixart, Jun 21, 2017.

1. mixart macrumors member

I have a really hard time deciding between the new iMac 5K i7/8GB/512GB/580 and Macbook Pro 15" 2.9Ghz/16GB/512GB/560 + LG UltraFine 5K. I bought the LG UltraFine 5K in the spring and the plan was to buy the new Macbook Pro, because my current MBP 15" Late 2013 is lagging with the LG 5K. If I choose the iMac 5K I will also sell both my MBP and LG 5K, and it will be a much cheaper solution.

I just finish my education as a Graphic Communication here in Denmark and I want to start as an independent, where I will work with Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and After Effects.

The good thing about a Macbook Pro is that I can take it with me and be flexible. When I have a meeting with a customer I can showcase thing with my laptop, but I also already have a iPad Pro that can show my work.

The good thing about the iMac 5K is that I can upgrade more than 16GB memory and it has a more powerful GPU. I dont know it I will notice any different between 560 and 580 software like Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign with a 5K display.

So the two option I have is:

1. iMac 5K + iPad Pro
    2. Macbook Pro + LG UltraFine 5K + iPad Pro.

2. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

It really just depends if you want to be able to move around a house/office and to other locations/travel and have your primary machine with you all the time.

If not worried about portability, the iMac is always the better decision basically.

3. mhy macrumors newbie

I'm also a graphic/interface designer looking for a new setup. Last week my late 2009 iMac died and i'm thinking of getting a 15" Macbook instead of an iMac. Other designers i know all use Macbooks and praise the mobility, but i don't know yet.