iMac 6 won't wake from sleep (10.6.8)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cytherian, Sep 24, 2012.

1. cytherian, Sep 24, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012

cytherian macrumors newbie

The problem is that anytime the iMac goes to sleep, it can't be awakened (forcing a cold shut-down). If the energy saver settings are turned off and you don't allow the hard drive to shut down (just the video), there's no problem. Also, on occasion, when you go to start up the computer it will show the start-up light but then stop with a black screen and flashing cursor. Forcing it off and trying again a couple of times manages to get by this.

The iMac was taken to an Apple store where they ran an extensive diagnostic (beyond what the default OS provided diagnostic does). They did not find any hardware problems. However, when attempting to awaken the computer from sleep, it was reported that the CPU was not receiving a signal to awaken. They suspected it might be the power supply or a component on the motherboard. As a measure to rule out software as the culprit, they completely re-installed OSX 10.6.8 but that did not make any difference.

So, it seems like this is a hardware issue of some kind, unless there's something the Apple folks missed. It's an old computer and they'd just assume replace the motherboard--but that's prohibitively expensive to do, relative to the cost of a replacement computer.

Any ideas on what might be causing this inability to awaken the computer?

2. fastlanephil macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

You could try zapping the PRAM. While restarting hold down the P R A and M keys until it chimes twice.

You could also remove any added memory and see if it makes any difference.

If it's a hardware issue then it's probably going to get worse so it might be best to migrate to a new Mac before it dies.

3. mdgolom macrumors 6502

I'm having the same problems. I have a 2009 24" iMac and it's been having on and off problems. When I got home the other night, it wouldn't wake up by pressing a key on the keyboard (bluetooth) or the power button. I thought maybe I lost power. Unplugged it and it booted by pressing the power button. It did it again the following day. I simply went into energy settings and told the computer not to sleep. It's possible it's loosing connectivity to the bluetooth mouse and keyboard. Just hoping it holds on until the new iMacs are released.