Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vansouza

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
West Plains, MO USA Earth
Is there something about the hardware on this iMac that will not let SL run in full 64 bit glory?

It loads 64 bit kernel, but did that in Leopard as well.

SL loads the 64 bit kernel but not the rest of it... of course holding the 6 and 4 keys results in no joy.

So now I suspect it is not just the CPU that must be a 64 bit ready chip but the rest of the hardware must be like wise optimized.

If someone could explain this to me I would be quite grateful.

I did try searching but it was just a jungle of responses.

Thanks...

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
Off at the ADC forum I have posted just that wish; but they think not.

I live in hope so I will continue to pray that after the 8,1 the 7,1 will follow...

I hope God reads these forums...

I noticed that my '09 Mac Mini has trouble loading some 32-bit programs, but its only things like iStat and Menu Meters. I plan to upgrade the hard drive so if I get the new HD I'll just wait until the initial release.

vansouza

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
West Plains, MO USA Earth
I noticed that my '09 Mac Mini has trouble loading some 32-bit programs, but its only things like iStat and Menu Meters. I plan to upgrade the hard drive so if I get the new HD I'll just wait until the initial release.

Are you running in full 64 bit mode? Because at the ADC forums they are going on that the Mini will not run in 64 bit mode.

Do you know how to tell? Click on the Apple then About This Mac... then more info button.... Click on Software and notice the 64 bit Kernel and Extensions: mine says No...

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
Are you running in full 64 bit mode? Because at the ADC forums they are going on that the Mini will not run in 64 bit mode.

Do you know how to tell? Click on the Apple then About This Mac... then more info button.... Click on Software and notice the 64 bit Kernel and Extensions: mine says No...

Mines is off as well, sorry I can't help ya.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.