iMac 7.1 crashing

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Yeoboy, May 26, 2013.

1. Yeoboy macrumors newbie

I bought a s/h iMac 7.1 today and it shut down in the middle of a video project,I am using a mac for the first time and might have a chance to return it if its inherently faulty/not suitable,It's got 2gb ram and I've noticed it could be updated,The screen went black but it re-started and I noticed it seemed quite hot,Any comments for a newbie?

2. JamietheMac macrumors member

JamietheMac

3. Yeoboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep,I reckon,But maybe needs more memory as well.

4. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Did you receive the original Install Discs that shipped with the computer, probably Tiger or Leopard. If not return immediately because they have Apple Hardware Test on them and you need that to run AHT to test the hardware. You can always buy another set from Apple (they're machine specific) but the original owner should included them.

5. Yeoboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Didnt get those discs,As a begginer i am concentrating on getting yo grips with the Imac,I have doubled the ram to 2x2gb,Thanks for the replies.

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Looks to me a GPU problem.

There might be Panic logs in /Library/Logs, look for it, post/paste the text here if you find one which corresponds with the time of the crash.

7. Yeoboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestion,My complete newbe status means i will get a freind to check that,Cheers.

8. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Open Console, it is in Applications>Utility, or type Console in spotlight, you will find them there.