iMac 7,1 Ram

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Adam2001, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Adam2001 macrumors newbie

Hello. I was wondering if there was a cheap and reliable place to buy Ram from? I have a 7,1 Intel Core Duo iMac. I only have 1 GB and want to upgrade to the max of 6 for my iMac. The Mac Store wants 120 for 4GB!! I found some places online but want to make sure it's compatible.

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

100 bucks: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/iMac/Intel_Core_2_Duo

3. Adam2001 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Depends on what you're doing. That link is likely the best bet. I'd say, if you're doing it, go to 6GB, especially if you want to use your mac for another year or so.

5. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

6. Adam2001 thread starter macrumors newbie

I ended up going with the 6 GB set. I plan on keeping this machine for awhile now and decided it was worth the extra dollars to get to 6. Is it as easy as they say to swap it out? Just unscrew the two outer screws and pull out the 1 GB chip and put the two new ones in? Any tips?

7. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

8. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Visit OWC's site and click the Tech Support link at the bottom of the page, you will then find how-to links one is for installing RAM into your machine. You can also consult your manual for instructions or any number of YouTube videos. Installing RAM in an iMac is incredibly simple (10 minutes max) just ensure the new RAM is firmly seated. Push it in with a very firm push using both thumbs until you feel it click in then press a little more to see that it won't go any further. Don't worry you won't hurt the machine. Pay attention to how the old RAM came out so you recognize the orientation the RAM goes in.

9. Adam2001 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks man! I'll check those out. My RAM has shipped so let's see how long it will take to get to Seattle. Then I can finally play SC2 and upgrade to lion thank goodness.