iMac (7 weeks old) broke today, a day after Macbook (3 months old stopped working)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by al82, Jun 14, 2009.

1. al82 macrumors regular

Today i gave my Macbbok (2.4 latest aluminium 3 months old)to the genius bar as the DVD burner was not working and i was getting a dim light when trying to charge it (on the magsafe led it was dim green).

I though ok at least i have my iMac(6 weeks old) to do my work on.

I get home, press the power button on the imac and nothing, no start up sound and the screen does not even turn on. I tried holding the button combinations to reset the vram (i think thats what its called) i tried holding c and having it boot from install disk nothing.

I am soooo angry, i spent £2500 at the apple store and both computers are broken.

I am going to call my local apple store tomorrow and DEMAND that they see me tomorrow as their site says they have no appointments available currently. Why should i have to wait till the end of next week considering both computers where under three months old.

Can anyone explain to me what the usual cause is for the screen not turning on on the iMac please.

2. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

Is there any noise coming from the iMac when you try to turn it on? If not, you might want to check to make sure it has power.

3. Poncho macrumors 6502

Poncho

That's what I was going to say. I had a Mac do the 'Can't find the Hard Drive' icon face on me some months back. Did everything. C boot, D boot, T boot verbose boot reset Pram, kicked it... Nothing. And then I thought, oh, if it was a hi-fi i'd check all the cables from start to finish. So I did, and all seemed OK, So I went inside it and just pressed together all the plastic cable connectors. Lo and behold, one must have come just a tiny bit loose (the one between the hard drive and somewhere) and the thing worked perfectly.

4. al82 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for the replies.

I do hear a faint fan noise that for some reason has become a VERY LOUD fan noise. But nothing else the scren does not turn on.