iMac 8,1 Using NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT Fails

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iChatX, May 5, 2013.

1. iChatX macrumors newbie

Hello.
    I'm new to the forums here and the reason I have signed up was to ask for help. The answer to the problem is quite logical: a logic board replacement.

Here's my situation:
    I own a 24 inch iMac 8,1 late 2008. Around last month, it got hit with the black screen problem. Seems to be a graphics card failure (NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT).

Well, as always (and what I've read on the Internet) the repair will skyrocket to approx $1000. This is freaking me out. It's quite the sum of money. However, after thorough research I stumbled upon an apple article addressing this same issue. Turns out that the failures were due to the NVIDIA card and that Apple had a 4 year warranty for it (ended December 17, 2012). This problem with the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT had come under a class action suit so will I be still warranted the damages? The document specifically quotes 'unlikely' but hasn't said impossible. I shall link you all to the article. So will I be under warranty?

support.apple.com/kb/ts2377

Thank you all in advance. I look forward to you people responding.

2. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

I recommend upgrading your MXM GPU.
    No LB replacement nesseccary.

3. iChatX thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. Since you have suggested this instead of a logic board replacement, I will assume that this repair is a whole lot cheaper. May I know how much it is for? Also, whatever the repair may be, I want to know if I can be warranted as I have a faulty graphics card.

4. iMacC2D, May 5, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  5. iChatX thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmmn. That's very relieving to hear. I would guess that the repair would be around $200. However, would the GS be warranted too?

I really appreciate you all replying. You guys have been very professional and accurate.

6. iChatX thread starter macrumors newbie

Also. Could somebody help me determine whether it is my graphics card causing a problem or would it be the mobo?

Thanks in advance to the people who have read my description:

I remember the day it blacked out. I was on Skype talking to a relative. Suddenly, the screen goes black. I can see the pixels lighten up but they are all black. I tried hard rebooting. When booting, the computer would boot up as normal. Then, the computer would respond for a minute or two and then it goes all haywire with the pixels. The pixels just flash all over the place. The computer goes blue or black after a while. I tried reseting the PRAM and tried safe rebooting.

I also have one more idea of what may have caused the problem. It is pretty unlikely to me that this is the problem. A month before the mac went crazy, I had purchased 8GB of RAM (4 each slot). It was from crucial, a pretty reputed and trusted company with pretty premium prices. The computer would show and register the RAM when I clicked 'About This Mac'. However, online I read the computer has a max capacity of 6GB. I overlooked it because the computer registered the RAM (or so it seems).

To end, my question is: is it the GFX, the mobo or the RAM?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to you guys' passionate and professional - like help

7. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Are you planning on doing the repair your self or getting a worker to do it.

8. iChatX thread starter macrumors newbie

Definitely by a worker.

9. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

If there is a microcenter in your area, they offer great apple repairs.
    Check on microcenter.com

10. dannylillhtc macrumors member

dannylillhtc

the most they can support is 6gb putting 8 in wont make any difference its the gpu thats at fault know problem with these macs

11. iChatX thread starter macrumors newbie

The apple people sent me a link for osx recovery. I'll see if it works