iMac (A1224) Hard Drive Question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by zackkmac, Apr 28, 2013.

1. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

Hi all. I just purchased a 20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz (model A1224) without a hard drive. The seller said the iMac also does not include a caddy.

I know that most iMacs do not use a caddy, but I was wondering what parts/screws this specific model uses to mount and secure its hard drive as I will need to purchase them.

Thanks in advance! :)

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

All iMacs do use some sort of caddy to hold the drive in place. I don't know of any that doesn't. This particular iMac uses a black plastic caddy that is held on via friction and a latch. The drive screws into it with one or two standard computer screws. The caddy then latches on to the iMac's internal support frame.

3. zackkmac thread starter macrumors 6502a

I see. By caddy I was thinking of the metal enclosure-type that covers the whole thing such as in the iMac G4. Didn't know the term applied to the clip style but it makes sense.

I've just located the caddy/clip a few minutes ago, now the hard part is finding the right screws for the part. I can't seem to find them anywhere.

4. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Doesn't matter too much - as long as they screw into the side of the HDD, and are long enough :p.

If the heads are too small, you can use a washer.

5. zackkmac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm. I guess I can look around and see what I have, I may have something that'll work.

Can anyone tell me if the A1224 models can see 8GB RAM? I've read that they see max 6GB using one 2GB stick, and one 4GB stick, but I wonder what 2x4GB does.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

They can see 8GB, but after using 6GB worth they become extremely slow and unstable because they run out of hardware registers for the memory.

7. zackkmac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you Intell. I will probably keep it at 4GB then as it seems sufficient enough anyways.