Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
I have a iMac early 2009 20" 2.66 which sounds like its going to take off. There is a loud whirling/spinning sound which is constant as soon as I turn it on, which i think is the fan, as air is constantly blowing out the back.

Any idea's why the fan is doing this or might it be something else?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Not yet. How do I do this?

Follow the link I provided and it will explain it to you.

Or just look at this copy and paste job:

Resetting the SMC for Mac Pro, Intel-based iMac, Intel-based Mac mini, or Intel-based Xserve
  1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Unplug the computer's power cord.
  3. Wait fifteen seconds.
  4. Attach the computer's power cord.
  5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

In short, it will reset your fan speeds to standard, unless there is a process that hogs the CPU that much and your room being a bit too warm.

Matski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
Follow the link I provided and it will explain it to you.

Or just look at this copy and paste job:

In short, it will reset your fan speeds to standard, unless there is a process that hogs the CPU that much and your room being a bit too warm.

Thanks. I've reset the SMC, that did nothing. I then reset the PRAM and that did nothing. Room is fairly cool, so its not overheating. I also looked at the CPU and that is running normally, as I'm not running anything other than Safari.

Still unsure why the fan is so loud and runs constantly?

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Thanks. I've reset the SMC, that did nothing. I then reset the PRAM and that did nothing. Room is fairly cool, so its not overheating. I also looked at the CPU and that is running normally, as I'm not running anything other than Safari.

It's possible the thermal paste is doing it's job and/or the iMac has accumulated dust bunnies. I don't own an iMac just from past PC/electronics experience.

Matski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
It's possible the thermal paste is doing it's job and/or the iMac has accumulated dust bunnies. I don't own an iMac just from past PC/electronics experience.

So, I need to spray some air through it, to clear any dust? I did notice a little dust when I installed a new HDD.

chasemac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2005
In a house.
You might try unplugging all peripherals besides keyboard, mouse and restart to see what happens. Not sure if you have anything else plugged into your iMac which may be the cause.

ctucci

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2008
Yer Mom's basement.

Could it be accumulated dust on the bottom and the on the fan port on the back?

Could also be dust on the fans/heat sinks, given that it's an 09. That's a fair amount of time for fans and heat sinks to collect dust. If someone in the house smokes, that accelerates the problem.

If you're willing, ifixit has a guide you can use to take a look internally: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+20-Inch+EMC+2266+Heat+Sink+Replacement/935

Not to replace the heat sink, just to have a look and perhaps clean debris.

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
Is it possible that when you were replacing your hard drive, that you might have accidentally unplugged/severed a wire for one of the thermal sensors? Sometimes if that happens, the fans will automatically run on highest just in case it starts getting hot and won't get detected.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
So, I need to spray some air through it, to clear any dust? I did notice a little dust when I installed a new HDD.

That wouldn't hurt although it might be better to first try and vacuum the visible dust from the vents before blasting it with air. If you decide to use air, make sure you do it in short burst.

Also, I meant to say the thermal paste might not be doing it's job. Sorry for the typo. :eek:

Matski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
Is it possible that when you were replacing your hard drive, that you might have accidentally unplugged/severed a wire for one of the thermal sensors? Sometimes if that happens, the fans will automatically run on highest just in case it starts getting hot and won't get detected.

No. I carefully installed the hdd. The fan was a problem before I installed the hdd, so I'm thinking dust could be the problem.

khedden

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2014
Charleston, SC
No. I carefully installed the hdd. The fan was a problem before I installed the hdd, so I'm thinking dust could be the problem.

How much of a problem was it? The same kind of problem -- jet plane take-off levels?

I just mention this because there's a thermal sensor for the hard drive which I believe you have to reverse on a third party HDD install. Check the iFixit guide to see what I'm talking about.

If you already did all that when installing, then ignore me.

Matski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
How much of a problem was it? The same kind of problem -- jet plane take-off levels?

I just mention this because there's a thermal sensor for the hard drive which I believe you have to reverse on a third party HDD install. Check the iFixit guide to see what I'm talking about.

If you already did all that when installing, then ignore me.

Reverse the thermal sensor? You mean don't have it flat side down?

I just found this link. Nothing about reverse the sensor...

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+20-Inch+EMC+2266+Hard+Drive+Replacement/919

khedden

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2014
Charleston, SC
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.