iMac accidentally booted in Recovery Mode

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AllergyDoc, Nov 19, 2014.

1. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

Question is, how do I get it OUT of Recovery Mode?

Long story short: I let a buyer set up my iMac as their own (foolishly before they paid me for it), then they changed their mind. The only way to get them off the computer was to reinstall Yosemite. I accidentally started in Recovery Mode and now can't get out of it.

?

2. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

I think you can restart from the upper-left corner "Apple" menu.

Or ... if all else fails, simply press and hold the power button until it shuts off. Turn it on and press and hold the "Option" key at the start of the chime, then select your boot disk from the options shown.

3. AllergyDoc thread starter macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

I can restart the computer but the boot options don't include the internal hard drive or the external USB drive containing an install version of Yosemite. I'm kicking myself for letting them set it up without paying first. Yosemite is downloading, but I've lost 2 hours of my life.

4. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Yeah, unfortunately if the OS X installation was deleted, that is the only remaining option if you don't have a backup. If all the "buyer" did was to create a user account for themselves, then you could simply log in as yourself, and delete the unwanted account from SystemProperties/Users, but it sounds like it is too late for that now.

Good luck...

5. AllergyDoc thread starter macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

Thanks for your help. I'll wait until it downloads and see what happens.