iMac acting funny, Graphic card or OSX?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by buyusfear, Feb 4, 2009.

1. buyusfear macrumors 6502

So for the first time in over a year since I purchased it, my iMac crashed twice.

The first time was this morning, i went to do something and the screen went black, and my secondary display got black and white lines. I had to restart. And the boot screen with the apple logo hung around for a while.

Then, later on the screen went whacky after trying to wake it from sleep (not full sleep just display sleep) and had a bunch of moving lines and then I couldn't see anything. So luckily I got a picture. After restart, it seems fine.

I'll call apple care in the morning, but thought i'd try my luck here.

Any help would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. buyusfear thread starter macrumors 6502

It happened again. This time I got a restart message on my secondary display...
    :confused::confused::(

[​IMG]

3. oneEG6 macrumors member

Nice kernel panic. :(

Looks like a bad logic board to me. Does it totally freeze up, not allowing any cursor movement or anything? Does the "snow" move around?

4. buyusfear thread starter macrumors 6502

The snow does move, and I can move the cursor, but nothing else is responsive. I have the computer off right now and luckily have me MBP. I also have the majority of my stuff on external drives, save for a bunch of iphoto pics that would suck if I were to lose.

What do you think apple care will tell me? (thank god I bought it as i'm almost exactly 1 year a 1 month into owning it)

5. oneEG6 macrumors member

They'll probably tell you to bring it into an Apple store. Make an appointment with a Genius, probably a bad logic board. Good thing for Applecare!

edit:eek:ooh, could just be your video card, very likely. Your data should be fine either way.

6. GlynJones macrumors 6502

My iMac has just come back from the Apple Store with similar symptoms.

I have the 24" iMac with the 7600GS graphics and mine ended up needing a new logic board and graphic board.

Looks like it's a trip to the Apple Store for repair. Remember to back up your iMac before you take it in.

Mine needed nearly £700 of parts so AppleCare really paid for itself on this one. :)

7. buyusfear thread starter macrumors 6502

Apple care was great over the phone, and yes, as of 2 days ago, It is checked into the Applestore for either graphic and/or logic board repair. I never backed it up, just saved most of the important stuff. The rest I can restore off of my notebook.

Thanks for the suggestions all.

8. GlynJones macrumors 6502

Well had the machine back for less than 6 weeks and the graphics have gone again.

Really cheezed off about this as my Macbook Pro is already in for repair so I will be macless for a while.

Trouble is that anyone with the 7600GS graphics have a ticking time bomb in there machines.

9. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Yup. I have one, been fixed twice, the second time has been the charm. Can't imagine owning an iMac without an extended warranty.