Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Popis1991

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Sweden
Hey im having some problems with my imac and hoping someone could help. Lately my imac has been acting realy weird, apps suddenly stop working, when i quit apps they dont close and stop working. Also i cant wake my imac with teamviewer, and it has been getting slower lately. I have tried running disk utility, and a anti virus but nothing comes up as wrong. Anybody knows whats up? Help please!!

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Hey im having some problems with my imac and hoping someone could help. Lately my imac has been acting realy weird, apps suddenly stop working, when i quit apps they dont close and stop working. Also i cant wake my imac with teamviewer, and it has been getting slower lately. I have tried running disk utility, and a anti virus but nothing comes up as wrong. Anybody knows whats up? Help please!!

How much hard drive capacity is free? If its full or between 10-20% free or less, that could be the problem.

Popis1991

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Sweden
I have only used 100gb of 1 tb. Its a brand new imac. Just bought it in december!! Does not even have 6months!

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I have only used 100gb of 1 tb. Its a brand new imac. Just bought it in december!! Does not even have 6months!

Are you getting error reports when apps crash? If so look in Console for some clues. Also since its still new, consider bringing it into the store to have them look at it.

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA

Keep Activity Monitor (Applications - Utilties - Activity Monitor) running. When you notice some of the symptoms you're describing look in AM to see if anything is taking a large percentage of CPU, you could have a problem app. Another thing to look at is while in AM click the System Memory tab and see how much FREE RAM is available. You didn't mention the specificiations of your machine so it's possible it's low on RAM. As a general rule of thumb OS X should have 500MB or more of FREE RAM. If you notice anything in the range of 500MB or lower then it's time for a RAM upgrade.

Popis1991

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Sweden
I have 12gb ram, so the ram is not wrong :/ but yeah i get the crash reports all the time!!! It usally vlc, team viewer, safari and some games that mess up... But apps like pages, word, firefox are fine :/ ill try the AM trick to see whats happens. Is it better to give the imac in to repair or should i just do a clean boot?

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
I have 12gb ram, so the ram is not wrong :/ but yeah i get the crash reports all the time!!! It usally vlc, team viewer, safari and some games that mess up... But apps like pages, word, firefox are fine :/ ill try the AM trick to see whats happens. Is it better to give the imac in to repair or should i just do a clean boot?

Just to clarify, I didn't say your RAM was wrong. I was speculating that defective/bad is causing the symptoms you are having.

The Genius Bar is a decent place to go, but based on my experiences with them, don't expect any help.

Popis1991

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Sweden
Just to clarify, I didn't say your RAM was wrong. I was speculating that defective/bad is causing the symptoms you are having.

The Genius Bar is a decent place to go, but based on my experiences with them, don't expect any help.

Oh okey, then i get ur statment ;)
Well i would go to a genius bar if we had one in sweden :p but we dont :( so im going to try a clean install today and we will see what happens ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.