iMac adds new Flash Storage Options (256/512gb)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by zedsdead, May 2, 2013.

1. zedsdead, May 2, 2013
    Last edited: May 2, 2013

zedsdead macrumors 68040

So Apple finally is offering the iMac with 256 and 512 gb of Flash.

Should've been the case when it first came out. I would have bought the 256 and maybe even the 512. Oh well.

[​IMG]

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Ridiculous prices , one can have a 1 TB SSD for the same price as Apple charges for a 512 GB SSD.

I prefer an external and as soon as warranty is done change it to internal, actually, you can change it yourself even before warranty expires, HD/SSD are User serviceable.

3. eattherich macrumors 6502

eattherich

I'm glad they're finally giving more options but it's disappointing that it's only happening now. A lot of people that ordered months ago have only received their iMacs in the past month or so. I would have gone for the 256GB or 512GB flash if I had the option, especially with the University discount... *sigh* :rolleyes:

4. trustever macrumors 6502

Finally they made it... It is expensive but really easy at least!

5. Shivetya macrumors 65816

6. Nalmond92 macrumors regular

Prices in the UK with university discount are as follows:

256-£211.20
    512-£422.40

Are those reasonable price points for SSD storage?:confused:

7. karpich1 macrumors regular

About time...

Good news, I was considering ordering mine next week with the 768GB. But now I'll go 512 since I'm going to dual-boot it.

Though the whole IR thing still bother me. That's the one thing that was keeping me from ordering it earlier.

----------

Yeh, but it seems like they made it more of a pain.

The previous models: just a suction cup and the screen is off. Now you have that whole sticker thing.

Stickers and such... they never work out great with me. At least magnets are a no-brainer.

8. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

Sadly, no (and I'd be looking at exactly the same discount in the UK as you). You can get a very good 512GB SSD for £270 at eBuyer and that's without apple snatching back the otherwise standard 1TB HD. I guess that the iMac SSD is a blade type, so possibly costs a bit more to make, but without Apple letting you have a HD as well, it's pretty much a moot point.

David

9. TouchMint.com macrumors 68000

TouchMint.com

10. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

Kind of disappointing to see Apple release this now, nearly 6 months after putting the redesigned iMac on sale. The SSD only option on the 21.5", along with some of the other design miscues (in my opinion) dissuaded me from buying the redesigned iMac, and instead bought a mid-2010 that I performed my own SSD surgery on.

Furthermore, with the popularity of SSD's gaining by the day, it'd be nice to see Apple offer the option of either a 128GB SSD or 1TB HD as the base storage. I've found I get by just fine with that size SSD as my internal and keeps performance snappy, and I keep music, photos, and just a couple of movies on an external hard drive. They're pretty close in price for us consumers, so the assumption here is that the wholesale cost is pretty much the same for an OEM like Apple.

11. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I'm glad to see them make this change. 768GB was out of economic reach for too many people. It was hard for me to recommend the SSD only option to people who asked my advice... even though that is what I use myself. Now with the new sizes... I would recommend the 256 or 512 SSD option to some people... as an alternative to FD (even though I think FD is a good solution for most).

Personally (for my own use), I am looking forward to larger sized SSDs. I'd hope the 2013 iMac will have a 1TB option... growing to 2TB by 2015 or so. That is when I would expect to replace my 2012 768GB iMac.

/Jim

12. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

13. Imac Sam macrumors 6502

Imac Sam

I wish that had came to light a month ago.:rolleyes:

I just ordered and got the new imac 27-I7 at work. I finished getting all the production software loaded on it and everything is tweaked out just the way I want it, in the last week. Oh well, at least I still get SSD speeds on my 1tb fusion drive, since I am only using 90gb on it at this time.

14. curmudgeon32 macrumors regular

Been using a Fusion Drive for a while now and it's SO much faster than a plain HDD. I guess a pure SSD would be somewhat faster, but in my opinion, Fusion is hitting the sweet spot of price/performace/size right now.

15. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

Yikes, for those prices I'm glad I went with the 3TB Fusion. If I had ordered today and not a few weeks ago it still would have been my choice. It really is extremely fast - I still have not seen any differences between it and my rMBP's all-flash storage - and it's definitely the best value.

16. NextGenApple macrumors regular

iMac with 512 SSD will be mine on launch day of Haswell iMacs. Hopefully between Sept-Nov.

17. thedeske macrumors 6502a

The 256 option is about right for my use, but a 512 will help when it's time to re-sell. The attitude here is not being too concerned with internal storage size when you have excellent USB3 externals available now.

When I run the numbers for buying the standard 1TB HD and prying the thing open to install my own SSD, it's not worth the trouble. I'll hate the Flash price for a few days, and then it will be on to something else, like extra 60 I have to spend on Ram vs 40 days ago.

SOS Man! ;)

18. Siderz macrumors 6502a

Were you expecting something reasonable?

19. wmy5 macrumors regular

Why on earth don't they allow people to keep a HDD if they configure a flash storage???

20. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

No.

21. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Expect something reasonable? Well then you're looking at the wrong brand. :eek:

22. thedeske, May 4, 2013
    Last edited: May 4, 2013

thedeske macrumors 6502a

Not that I'm pleased with the price, but For 512
    A samsung 840 or 840 pro is 410-440 plus a bracket at 30-40 or more = 450 to 480 ballpark

Yes you can go slightly less. Add your time and a little more for a tape kit, slice open the iMac and install. We're very close to Apple's 600 add on.
    For some, the 120-150 is close enough to ditch the idea of surgery on a new computer.

Yes, those Micron 960s are around, if you can get one, for the same 600. Yes, Flash is getting cheaper this year. I can add Applecare for 115 and protect the OEM or I can DIY and crack the box twice if my 3rd party goes down.

Wanna play or fight? ;)

23. Nuke61 macrumors 6502

It seems unfair to compare the price of a bare SSD that you then have to install yourself, to a factory option that retains the warranty. How do these prices compare to other All-In-One computers with SSD options?

24. thedeske macrumors 6502a

I'm just playing devil's advocate. Factor the work/expense/time of DIY and it get's close for some of us. Not a thing wrong with the DIY approach. Did it a few times on older iMacs & loved it. Until they actually weld the thing shut, people will get in and play (well, some people)

Not concerned with other All-In-One computers

25. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Maybe I'm missing something but what is the point of the 256GB option? Pay $300 more for only 128Gb extra flash compared to fusion, lose 768GB storage, and miss out on the automatic aspect of frequently accessed data being managed onto the SSD.

The 512Gb option is attractive to me (on my current HD only 200GB is used) but the apple tax seems pretty steep, considering overall you lose 1/2 Tb in storage.

Maybe I'll wait til the next speedbump now, and 256 or 512 SSD will come as more standard options or lower prices.

In any case, so glad I didnt buy one last week I'd have been really p*ss*d!