imac adjusting height

Discussion in 'iMac' started by numlock, Sep 15, 2013.

1. numlock macrumors 68000

does anyone know anything about the history of the imac and why this feature was added and then removed?

obviously the first imac was how it was and then they released the luxo lamp inspired one which did offer adjustable height and now for almost 10 years we have had the disappointingly unergonomic design.

i find it rather disappointing that all the smart people at apple cannot figure out a solution unless of course they dont care.

be interested if anyone on here could perhaps offer some insight.

2. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

My recollection is that the lamp model ended up being more expensive to produce than expected. They had to chose between charging more and killing the design.

Best option today is ordering the VESA iMac and getting a nice 2 or 3 joint VESA arm.

3. Aameiel macrumors regular

Aameiel

You could get something like this and it would solve your problem.

I been debating on getting one my self.

4. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

You could always get a desk with adjustable height...

[​IMG]

5. numlock thread starter macrumors 68000

i know of most of these options i was both interested in the history of the imac (remember vividly when my brother told me in 98 that a new mac was about to be released for this and this price and it was almost equal to his g3 powerbook).

regardless of the vesa stand, freedom arm (didnt know about that one), adjustable table or just putting some height under the base of the imac i find it a design failure because of this shortcoming.

and apple of all companies which prides itself on design to release such an incomplete product that unless altered is very un ergonomic.

nobody recalls apple ever commenting on this?

6. magilla, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013

magilla macrumors regular

Remember things called "books"? They used to be available at a place called a "library." Try sticking the Internet under your iMac (or anything else) to elevate it.:eek:

Besides, with "books" you can pick and choose your titles to make it appear to anyone that you're smarter than you actually are.:D

7. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

When I pointed out the adjustable desk,I did it with the assumption that the user wanted to make the Imac height lower!

8. Bear macrumors G3

I think I may opt for a square block of wood to raise my iMac a couple of inches.