Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thescrod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2011
Ready to take the plunge on a new iMac but looking for some configuration advice. I am replacing a Windows system that drives (4) 19" 4:3 monitors. I am not a power user from a standpoint of the programs that I run (Outlook, Word, Excel, Acrobat and Firefox) but I do like lots of screen real estate and like to have lots of windows open at once. I intend to run at least 1, if not 2, additional monitors off of this 27" iMac. I intend to get 8 GB of RAM regardless. I also hope to hook up a TV tuner and my DirectTV box. That said, which one of these systems will handle my load or the better question is can either of the first 2, the less expensive configurations, do it?

Configuration Options:
1) 2.7 i5, 8 GB, 512 MB Video
2) 3.1 i5, 8 GB, 1 GB Video
3) 3.1 i5, 8 GB, 2 GB Video
4) 3.4 i7, 8 GB, 1 GB Video
5) 3.4 i7, 8 GB, 2 GB Video

Money is tight but I don't want to make a mistake.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
If you don't do anything graphics intensive, then the base 27" should be fine. AMD 6770M is capable of running up to six displays so it shouldn't have any issues driving three at the same time. Buy the extra RAM from aftermarket though, you save a lot $.

dh2005

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
To add to the esteemed Hellhammer's comment: aftermarket RAM is easy to fit. It's not major surgery, or anything. It won't invalidate your warranty.

thescrod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2011
You started it...

So I buy the system with 4 (2x2)?
Do I then buy 4 more (2x2) or 8 (4x2) for a total replacement?
How many slots does it have?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
So I buy the system with 4 (2x2)?
Do I then buy 4 more (2x2) or 8 (4x2) for a total replacement?
How many slots does it have?

iMac has four RAM slots. You can either buy 2x2GB or 1x4GB to bump the RAM to 8GB. If you ever plan on upgrading it to more than 8GB, then getting 1x4GB is the wisest choice since it leaves you an empty slot for future updates. Price wise they are about the same too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.