iMAC / Airport Express Setup Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rgomes, Dec 4, 2010.

1. rgomes macrumors member

Hello all!

Here is what I have and this is what I want to do:

2nd Floor (iMAC with Internet connection powered with direct Ethernet connection from Cable Modem)

I purchased an Airport Express with hopes of providing Internet to my Macbook on the main floor of my house.

The Airport Express can provide ITunes coverage. I have a Panasonic stereo with a decent set of speakers and a Music Port. I purchased the necessary Stereo to Stereo cord to go from the Airport Express into the Stereo.

Here's the question: seeing as the Airport Express will be plugged into a wall near the stereo, do I need an Ethernet connection in the Express? (or will it pick up the signal from the iMAC?)

Will it work?

I tried it and the unit keeps flashing amber. I was wondering if I set it up incorrectly.

Will the Home Sharing feature work?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I'd suggest moving the modem down to the stereo and plugging the Express into it. Then connecting to the WiFi network made by the Express with the Macbook and iMac. The Airport Express doesn't do Home Sharing. It does Airtunes/Airplay.

3. rgomes thread starter macrumors member

No Ethernet connection available on that floor!

I do have a TV in the same room that has the stereo but I only have one connection. I don't want to start splitting the signal for fear of weakening the signal....

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You may just have to take the chance of splitting the signal. Most people don't have any issues with signal quality after words.

5. rgomes thread starter macrumors member

So the Express absolutely has to have Ethernet plugged in?

I guess it can only transmit a signal but not necessarily receive it?

:confused:

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Another thing you could try is tell the Express to join an existing network. In this case the iMac's Ad-Hoc network.

7. Cougarcat macrumors 604

An Airport Express can join an existing wireless network (click on the wireless tab, and choose it from the Wireless Mode menu). You can create one on your iMac (go to airport menu-->Create network), and then join your express to it. Pretty sure that will work. The downside is your iMac will have to be running all the time for your AE to get the signal.

Your best bet is probably to buy a cheap wireless router, connect that to the modem, and join your AE to it.

8. rgomes thread starter macrumors member

Do I do all this from AIRPORT utility or from within System Preferences>Network?

Thanks!

9. Cougarcat macrumors 604

10. rgomes thread starter macrumors member

11. Cougarcat macrumors 604

What happened? Setting up the ad-hoc is trivial, did the AE not want to connect to it?

12. rgomes thread starter macrumors member

Exactly I created the new network but it didn't want to connect.....

I thought the iMAC had a built in WIFI router that acted just like a true physical router would....

I was always able to access the net through my MACBOOK (on the main floor) using the home sharing feature beautifully....