iMac Airport Extreme and PS3?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Curren~Sea, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Curren~Sea macrumors regular

Curren~Sea

Has anyone got the PS3 to connect to their iMac Airport Extreme? I’ve done a huge search on the net and it looks like it’s a common problem. I have a new PS3 40gb and a one year old iMac still running Tiger. If anyone knows the precise steps to make the PS3 connect to the wireless network, please reply. Thanks!

2. Emanuele macrumors member

I do:

absolutely had no problems connecting the two! Works flawlessly since the day I got my AEBS! Sorry but can't help more than saying that it works.

All I did was input the WPA password in and that's it.

:eek:

3. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Are you attempting to connect your PS3 to your iMac or to your Airport Extreme Base Station?

4. Curren~Sea thread starter macrumors regular

Curren~Sea

I do not have a base station, just my internal iMac Airport Extreme. Can it be done? Thanks.

5. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Try this:

Open System Preferences, click Sharing, and then click Internet.

Choose a network port from the "Share your connection from" pop-up menu.

Select "Built-in Ethernet" or AirPort depending on which computers will share your Internet connection.

If you have turned on the firewall on the Firewall pane of Sharing preferences, you also need to turn on Personal Web Sharing on the Services pane of Sharing preferences in order to share your Internet connection and allow computers connected to your Internet connection to browse the web.

Have the PS3 look for wireless networks and choose the network you just made.

6. Curren~Sea thread starter macrumors regular

Curren~Sea

I should add:

I have a cable modem that is connected to a Linksys router that goes to my iMac and also to a PC. Using manual settings, I was able to get the PS3 to find the IP address last night but it still didn’t connect to the Internet. Maybe I need to play around with my settings some more… It’s just quite frustrating when the iMac is supposed to be all about “easy”.

7. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

I had no problems connecting to my Airport Extreme wireless network under Tiger. I just recently installed Leopard and still no problems. I just set up the usual way (entered WEP key) and it connected without a hitch.

8. Curren~Sea thread starter macrumors regular

Curren~Sea

Update: I could not get the PS3 to connect to the built-in Airport Express on my iMac. However, I had a wireless router hanging around so I hooked that up and got it to connect flawlessly. Thanks for the replies.