iMAC / Airport Extreme DFS channels

Discussion in 'iMac' started by GIZBUG, Jun 25, 2016.

1. GIZBUG macrumors 65816

GIZBUG

Is it normal for my iMAC not to see my 5GHZ network when it is on a DFS channel (Channel 132 for 5.0ghz)?

I am not using 2 separate SSID's, and I have 2.4 and 5.0 channels on AUTO. However, iMac, being 15 ft from the router, only sees and connects to the 2.4ghz band....when I load inssider, it doesn't show the 5.0 GHZ, because the auto channel is 132. I change to manual, and put 149, it see's it.

So, 2015 iMac can't decipher DFS channels correctly?

2. cynics macrumors G3

Have you tried an SMC reset and a power cycle on the router? Also making sure the AE is on the latest firmware (there was an update recently)?

I'm on a 2013 iMac but there shouldn't be too much of a difference. I also have my router setup similar to yours so it could default to 2.4ghz but it doesn't.

Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 10.29.44 AM.png

3. JohnDS macrumors 65816

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It sounds like you have disabled DFS with hacked firmware on your router to enable manual selection of these DFS channels. I believe in the US this violates FCC regulations, so all US sold router manufacturers do not allow this with default firmware. So I would be willing to bet money Apple does not allow you to manually select a DFS channel on the client side for this same reason.

Is there some specific problem you are trying to solve here by disabling DFS? Normally you would be better off just leaving DFS on and selecting a default 5g channel and let the router move over to a DFS channel if it detects interference (usually with nearby radar).

5. GIZBUG thread starter macrumors 65816

GIZBUG

Hacked? This is a 2 day old Airport Extreme router, with 7.7.7 FW on it, nothing is hacked on it.

I can not manually select a DFS channel. In my post, I mentioned when the 5ghz channel is set to AUTO, it selects a DFS channel.

You mention manually select a 5ghz channel, and it will use DFS channel as needed. How does this work if its a manual selection? The router will stay on the channel I select until I make a change to another channel. Its not going to go looking for any other channel/dfs channel.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'm sorry and I meant no offense. The way your post was worded it sounded to me like you had manually selected 132 on the router, and that is not possible on a US router with factory firmware... hence I guessed you were using hacked firmware.

I don't have a 2015 iMac like you, but I have never had any trouble with any of my Apple wifi clients when they select DFS channels on auto. It sounds like maybe there is some interference on 132 that is breaking things for you.

How about trying Apple Wireless Diagnostics to find the best channel then manually set it to that channel on the router?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202663

Yes... I should have said "auto" there.