iMac Airport sees wifi, but no Internet. Stumped. Again.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ceek, Mar 11, 2010.

1. ceek macrumors member

ceek

So I'm stumped. Again. In the studio mixing, trying to connect my iMac (10.5.8) to their Netgear Wireless. Airport sees it fine. But no Internet. My 3GS has Internet thru it just fine.

I had this problem once before with an older iMac, and seem to remember deleting certificates, then renewing DHCP lease. Tried doing the same thing again (just deleted all certificates under Keychain), but still no Internet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated (and make mixing this new CD much easier). Cheers!

.:ceek:.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Is it getting an IP address? Of is it a 169? Did you enter the correct network password? Have you restarted the computer or contacted IT/ISP?

TEG

3. ceek thread starter macrumors member

ceek

Yes; the first numbers of my IPv4 Addy are 169.

That good or bad?

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Bad. The 169 address usually means that the computer either can't find a DHCP server, or is finding multiple DHCP servers on the network and doesn't know which one to trust. Check what the IP, Gateway, and DNS your iPhone is getting and report back, please.

TEG

5. ceek thread starter macrumors member

ceek

Thanks Teg. OK, IP the iPhone is getting is 192.168.1.10. The DNS is 208.18.47.61, and another ending in .62. As far as the Gateway, I don't know where that's listed. I just see a Sub Mask of 255.255.255.0

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The gateway will be listed as "Router" on the iPhone.

I would recommend trying to change the setting on the iMac to be "DHCP with Manual Address", then entering into the address "192.168.1.21", and see if that works, if not, change it to manual address, enter the same IP address, then enter all the other information you have on your phone. If that does not work, then you may just have to wire into the network because something is up with the network.

TEG

7. ceek thread starter macrumors member

ceek

Thanks for your help, TEG; I'll give it a go and let you know.

8. ceek thread starter macrumors member

ceek

TEG, would you believe that now my iPhone is picking up a 169... IP? Unreal. All the PCs work, and my wife's iMac was working fine here last week (when mine still wasn't). I think anything I own just hates Netgear.

9. ceek thread starter macrumors member

ceek

And now my iPhone is on the network again. I can't win. lol Will finally try manually inserting the settings again tomorrow morning.

10. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

It sounds like the problem is that the Netgear has no more IPs to give out.

You would need to check the Netgear's settings to see how many IP addresses it is set to give out. If the maximum address does not match or exceed the number of devices that need to connect you should increase the number.

For example, 192.168.1.1 is the router, so the addresses would likely begin at 192.168.1.2 and stop at the maximum number of DHCP clients defined or the maximum defined address. So you may see a number or an IP address depending on the router.

11. ceek thread starter macrumors member

ceek

Thanks Calderone; never would have thought of that. Will do.

12. ceek thread starter macrumors member

ceek

Just wanted to say thank you for all your help. I eventually did get this figured out. The router was glitchy and eventually failed. Purchased a new one for my dad's studio. THANKS!