iMac airport won't connect

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mark88, Jun 13, 2008.

1. mark88 macrumors 6502a

Recently I noticed my intel iMac was taking a long while reconnecting to my wifi network after waking from sleep.

Now today, my internet stopped working. I turn airport on/off and the try to reconnect. I get the "connection timeout" message. I check my router, all is fine. I have 4 other machines in the same ROOM all connected to the same wifi network.

Now the imac airport won't even find other wifi networks in the region. Sometimes it automatically connects to my network but it's not actually connected as it doesn't communicate with anything else.

Is my airport module broken?

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

I ran into the same issue with a PB 12" G4 running 10.5.3. I spent 3 hours yesterday debugging it with the same indications, "Connection Timeout". I thought I had it finally fixed (well I have it partially fixed). Even after reboot, it connected automatically, but when I shut it off and let it sit for 2 hours, I tested again. It will no longer automatically connect, but will connect if I select my network from the Airport menu drop down.

I even have "Remember connected networks" enabled in the prefs and did the usual PMU reset, PRAM reset, cleared all caches, permissions checks, deleted the com.apple.network.plist, etc.

This is my mother-in-laws computer (had the manual connect issue as of 10.5.2) which I just upgraded to 10.5.3 using "safe practices".

This one has me stymied as well.

3. mark88 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's gotta be a hardware issue. I have a totally clean install of tiger on the same drive. I rebooted into and and airport finds no networks at all.

4. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Not necessarily. It could be another corrupted plist file. I haven't had any more time to investigate. Again, I had the exact same symptoms as yours.

Also, did you try changing wireless channels on your router?

5. SayCheese macrumors 6502a

I have the same issue.
    An iMac Core Duo, running Leopard.
    I am trying to connect to the Wi-Fi network and even though I can see the connected signs on the bar at the top of the screen and the iMac says it is connected to the network I am not actually able to connect to the internet via the Wi-Fi. I keep getting a message that says it is unable to connect to the network when I start Safari or any other program using the internet.

I have a Macbook Pro sat right next to the iMac and it is on the same network and works fine.
    Glad that I am not the only one with this issue but would love to find a response as to why it is happening.

I am on the latest version of Leopard and have done a 'Repair disk permissions' too.

Suggestions?

6. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

could be a .3 bug with imacs? what are the specs of everyone machines?

7. Deanosaur macrumors newbie

iMac AirPort won't connect

We purchased our third brand new Mac computer two weeks ago, came home, plugged it in to power it up and presto all was working great. Had no problem connecting to the internet. A week later it struggled to connect to the internet for a day or two and then nothing. The other computers, an iMac Desktop and a MacBook Pro, are connected to the internet. We are using NetGear Wireless ADSL Firewall Router 54 Mbps DG834G but we do not think this is the problem however always open to suggestion.

We carried out all of the common sense tests like unplugging all computers and testing the one not connecting, making sure no walls or barriers between the router and computer and after following numerous suggestions from fellow forum members, suggestions from the Apple Support site and the help in the iMac we are still no closer to fixing the problem.

When the computer asks to choose Wireless Network it will sometimes drop out before you get to click apply. Yes, I have set the Service Order. If the Network Name stays long enough to allow you to choose the Wireless Network and you click apply you get the time out connection symbol or just lately the spinning ball of death.

Is there anyone out there still having these problems. . . it is now 2011 and I expect they might be fixed by now. How have you fixed your problems with your Mac connecting to the internet using a wireless router? Please let me know.

Deanosaur