iMac AL 24" - Replacing Fans

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Stuckis, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Stuckis macrumors newbie

Hi everybody,

after three years of running silent, the fans of my iMac (24" AL, Late 2007) recently started to get louder. And louder. And...
    I already tried everything there can be done without opening the case - I think they just have worn down. After some searching I found a few instructions for exchanging this Macs harddrive (e.g.: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=350120&highlight=iMac+hard+drive+replace) but none for dealing with the fans.
    Is there anybody out here who opened his iMac and got a glimpse at the fans? Are the screws accessible from the top or would it be more complicated to replace them than it is with a harddrive?

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

The machine may just need the SMC reset and PRAM reset. If those don't take care of it then remove the RAM cover and vacuum out the air intake, it may just be filled with dust bunnies. DO NOT blow air into the machine.

3. kaipu macrumors newbie

Hi,

I opened my iMac 24", it maybe the same model as yours, to replace its HDD with a SSD and I can assure you that getting to the fan is quite easy… :)

Here are the instructions:

* iFixit has a good teardown guide and you'll get some videos on youtube too.

* The smallest of Suction cups will do, even if you have only one, I used the one which came with my Spyder3Pro monitor calibrator. I placed it on the right upper corner and pulled the glass gently, held it in position, removed the suction cup and placed it on the bottom left corner, pulled it and I had the whole glass in my hands. It was really easy.

* Remove the cover of RAM slots which is screwed at the bottom of the iMac.

* Remove all the screws. Remember their positions, it'll help to lay them on the table as you removed them.

* You'll see the fan in the bottom left corner of the iMac, I think there's only one fan.

* While putting back the aluminium frame it is important to put the bottom side first.

The guide at iFixit is a good for reference.

Cheers
    Poras

4. kaipu macrumors newbie

You can see the fan (Bottom left corner, by the speaker) in the 4th photo in this post... :apple: :cool:

Hope everything is clear now.
    Poras

5. Stuckis thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, Poras! I am just not sure where exactly the screws of the fans are located. One of the other photos in the post shows the fan even larger than on the 4th picture, but even on that one it is not completely evident. I guess I just open the iMac next weekend and have a closer look!

BTW: I took a look at your website and really liked your work!

6. kaipu macrumors newbie

Thanks, appreciate it!!

I think opening it yourself would be the best thing to do.

Wish you best.

7. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

Remember that there are 3 fans (CPU, HDD, and Optical Drive Fans)

1. CPU Bottom Left Corner
    2. HDD Fans - Underneath the logic board
    3. Optical Drive Fans - Right Side.

Open it up and find out which fan is making the noise.

8. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey