iMac Aluminum freezing with Vista

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Jaydhil24, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Jaydhil24 macrumors member

About 2 weeks ago I purchased my first Mac and it is the 20" Aluminum iMac and everything on the Mac end runs fine. I decided to install Vista using boot camp and it was successful and updated both the windows software and apple software on both ends. I am able to boot into vista but it Freezes sometimes well most of the time and have to manually shut down the computer from the power button and restart from the power butter. It freezes and you have no mouse response or keyboard just a frozen screen. Does anyone know how to trouble shoot this issue or fix it and is this a known problem.

2. dtashley macrumors newbie

I bought my iMac 24-inch approximately 8/1 and exact same issue.

Discovered that by rolling video driver back to "Standard VGA" system becomes stable (at least for me). Disadvantage is reduced resolution (not by much) and modifed aspect ratio.

Have just submitted trouble ticket to ATI in hopes they'll have more insight than Apple support.

I have other tips as well.

I am hoping for a decisive solution from ATI.

We should keep in touch if your problem is still not solved. We have the same problem, as do lots of others on the internet, apparently.