IMac and 802.11n wifi

Discussion in 'iMac' started by garcia2ko, Dec 13, 2010.

1. garcia2ko, Dec 13, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2010

garcia2ko macrumors newbie

I have discovered one issue with my new iMac: none of my several devices that are "g" want to connect.

The work around is to put my old router in the middle. Now everything connects.

My question: if I buy an "n" enabled printer, will it still connect through the iMac signal...or is that disabled/unavailable and it will go through the "g" router?

Thanks! Dan

2. garcia2ko thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone?

Add to the original question...should the 'g' devices be able to connect to the iMac airport wifi? I've looked for any type of config and can't find it. And I've searched the forums. Please....

3. ReggaeFire macrumors 6502

Your iMac should be able to use any b/g/n router.

4. garcia2ko thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, and that's my issue. I've got my old router hooked up (between the wall and the computer) but I'd like to use my iMac wifi and get rid of the extra equipment.

So the two questions are:

1. Can a "g" piece of equipment, like a laptop or iPod Touch connect to the iMac wifi with some configuration in my iMac settings?

2. If not, can I keep the old router and connect some equipment wirelessly to the internet through it...as well turn "on" the iMac wifi ("n") and connect other equipment to the internet that way at the same time?

Thanks!

5. ReggaeFire macrumors 6502

So you want to use your iMac as a router? You can share your internet connection via the Sharing menu in System Preferences.

6. garcia2ko thread starter macrumors newbie

Works now. Thanks for the help!

At first I thought your response was short and vague...until I did what you said, and realized it was clear as pie. Again, thanks!

7. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Also keep in mind that there are varying degrees of speed when it comes to wireless (and the "willing to spend versus maximizing speed" argument).

Depending on the setup, all devices are as fast as the slowest device on the network when you start mixing a bunch of N/G/B devices. I have slowly upgraded my devices to 'N' when possible and hard wired the old 'G/B' router to cover the other cases.