iMac and Bootcamp? Please reply!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by MartinAppleGuy, Dec 2, 2014.

1. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

With the iMac, you have a wireless keyboard and mouse. When it comes to the installation screen of Windows 8.1 (where you enter the product key...), does the wireless keyboard and mouse work during setup? This link from Apple says it does (https://help.apple.com/bootcamp/mac/5.0/help/#/bcmp173b3bf2) along with others (screenshots bellow).

So has anyone used the wireless keyboard and mouse that came with their iMacs to install Windows 8/8.1? It appears to only be with Bootcamp 5.1?

Attached Files:

2. colonelpicnic macrumors newbie

Yes it should work fine. I installed Windows 8.1 on a new 5k iMac yesterday using Bootcamp Assistant (v5.1.2) and a USB stick. Runs well.

3. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

And that was with a wireless keyboard and mouse?

Just double double checking haha

4. butcherbird macrumors member

Since the OP has his answer, mind if I ask something? Just looking for recommendations on whether I should buy one of the OEM licenses of Win 8 to use in Bootcamp on an iMac. Any tips on where to buy the right license for use on a Mac?

Thank you & please excuse the thread hijack. :)

5. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

It's fine haha I can't answer your question but I can tell you that the full version of Windows 8.1 works with boot camp as that is what I used.

6. butcherbird macrumors member

Thanks for the input, Martin.

7. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Hi there, my friend has just the same iMac as me a week ago (21.5" 2.9-3.6Ghz iMac with the Nvidia GeForce GT 750m) and she is looking to install Windows via Bootcamp to play games.

Now I have Windows 8.1 installed via Bootcamp on my iMac, but the price is rather steap at 85 pounds so I've found this copy of Windows 7 Pro on sale on EBay for 25 pounds (link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-M...783?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c517fb74f).

So will this work via Bootcamp on an iMac bought just a few weeks ago? I'm guessing that it will be he saw, process as I had with Win 8.1?

And last of all, she doesn't have a SuperDrive, so is she able to download he ISO and just use the product key?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-M...783?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c517fb74f

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I wouldn't recommend Windows 7 at all due to the lack of UEFI support.

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Windows 7 64 bit will work on that iMac but I would personally recommend going with 8.1. In order to install Windows on a Mac without an optical drive you would create a USB install drive.

10. MartinAppleGuy, Jun 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2015

MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

When Win 10 comes out though, it will be a free upgrade anyway, so I don't see much point in spending £50 more for 8.1 just to get a free upgrade anyway.

What is UEFI? Wouldn't it be available once updated to Win 10 anyway?

And can I just make sure, will the wireless mouse and keyboard still work during setting up Windows 7 Pro 64 bit? They worked with I done Windows 8.1, but I was of course worried before hand as I wouldn't have been able to enter the serial number of press the buttons if I'm fully Bluetooth setup regarding keyboard and mouse. Will she be fine during the setup of Win 7 with this?

11. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

A replacement for BIOS, which allows a Mac to boot Windows without having to emulate a BIOS.

12. yjchua95 macrumors 604

UEFI is the successor to BIOS. If you originally installed in Windows 7, you will not gain UEFI support even if you upgrade to Windows 10, unless you do a fresh install by removing the Boot Camp partition and re-creating it.

13. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

But Win 7 Pro will work just fine without it for games?

14. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

It should still work just fine.

15. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It would, but I wouldn't go for it considering that it no longer receives mainstream support from Microsoft.

16. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Yeah, 85 pounds is just not justifiable for my friend is only booting in to play games once and a while. 25 pounds for the Pro version of Win 7 is much better value.