iMac and external display or TV?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by vp911, Sep 4, 2011.

1. vp911 macrumors member

I'm looking to add either an external display to my 27" iMac or a LCD TV.

My problem is I don't plan on watching any TV on the 2nd display - it's purely for work (web, e-mail, server management, etc.) - I have a lot of open windows/apps simultaneously.

Should I buy a 27" Apple display to sit next to my iMac or put a LCD TV on the wall above/next to the iMac? Downsides to using a TV vs. a regular Apple display?

If I use a LCD TV, I have a 40" 1080P LCD in my family room I can use - and I would replace that with a new LED TV.

2. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I have a 40" LCD and with Snow Leopard, at least, I either had to select overscan (which meant the desktop extended past the edges of my television) or if I did not, then I'd have a black border around the desktop. This was from a Late 2009 iMac 27" to a Sharp TV.

I'm not sure if it's Lion or my new mid-2011 iMac, but I now have an "under scan correction" option so I can set the desktop exactly to the dimensions of my TV.

That being said, the image quality is poorer than my iMac, so I currently use a Dell 21" widescreen LCD but am planning to buy the 27" Thunderbolt Display (though I will on occasion use it with my 2011 MBP 13", as well).

3. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114