iMac and External Hard Drives

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mkazaryan, May 26, 2010.

1. mkazaryan macrumors newbie

Hi

I'm new here at the forums and just have 1 question.

So, I'm not exactly new to Mac, I've had a MacBook from 07-10, and about a week ago, I just upgraded to an iMac.

I have this external hard drive, Maxtor One Touch, and I have the external hard drive connected to my iMac through a USB cord. Once, I connect the hard drive to my iMac, I get a desktop icon for my OneTouch right below my Macintosh HD icon.

So, I know that i just double click it to open it and use it, and I don't have a problem with that. But what I do have a problem with, is that my external hard drive begins making noise after about 30 mins to an hour. For me to stop it from making noise, i just right click the OneTouch, and click on "Eject OneTouch".

Once I do that, the icon goes away, and my external hard drive stops making noise. Now, whenever I want to access my hard drive again, thats where I have the problem. I don't know how to.

The only way that I know, is for me to disconnect the USB cord from the back, and reconnect it for the icon to appear, but I don't want to keep doing that, every time I click on "Eject OneTouch" to stop using it.

Is there an easier way for me to access my hard drive again, without having to go through the hassle of disconnecting/connecting just for me to access it?

If I can get help for this, than that is much appreciated!

Thanks

2. johnhw macrumors 6502

Have you tried plugging it on the MacBook if it is also making noise too there? If it does, it is probably in the HDD's Internals dept.

3. mkazaryan thread starter macrumors newbie

To be honest, I don't care about the noise, I just want to be able to access my hard drive, without having to disconnect/connect the usb cable from the back of my iMac, every time I eject my hard drive from my desktop.

Am I making sense? I think i am....

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

open up "Disk Utility.app" via spotlight, in the first picture my disk "T3" is greyed out as it is unmounted.

in order to mount it, i click on the T3 volume - and hit the "mount" button (2nd image). that should do it for you :)

Attached Files:

5. mkazaryan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much! ^^

I just placed the Disk Utility icon on my dock for easy access, and the by selecting the grey area and clicking the mount button worked!

Again, thanks a bunch!

:D

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

awsome to hear man :D

its not a very good solution, not efficient by any means, but it does the job.

im very confused/concerned about this noise though...