Imac and External Harddrive Issue. I = Worried

Discussion in 'iMac' started by andrewbring, Jan 19, 2011.

1. andrewbring macrumors newbie

You guys gave me confidence and advice in buying my imac, now I must turn to you again!

I have the newest updated imac i7. Will post specs below.

I also have an external Samsung 1 tb connected using a usb dual docking bay connected with a usb 2.0 cable.

This is where I may have failed:
    I was burning a data cd-r with files that were ON the external harddrive.
    So I did not drag the files I wanted burnt onto my desktop.
    Instead I inserted the cd-r, then on the finder opened my harddrive and dragged the files onto the cd. Then clicked burn. M

Midway at the finalizing stage, the harddrive unexpectedly Ejected itself.
    The dialogue box stating it ejected popped up.

Then, I shut down my dock and tried to boot it up again.

When I open Disk utilities, I notice that the hard drive is mounted, but the indented "volume" underneath, is grayed out and is unable to mount.
    I did a first aid-verify disk on both icons and both said disk "appears to be OK."

I tried shutting down my Imac and removing all usb cables and even turning off the power surge that it's connected to. I let it sit for a little bit and restarted everything.

Still the same.

Side Notes:
    - I DID notice this happen to another one of my portable harddrives the other day. But it simply remounted after a while. Didn't think much of it. Plus, that may have been a loose power cable.
    - It's a dual bay dock, so I had another harddrive in it, that did not unmount. And can still mount correctly. I have taken that harddrive out of the picture while trying to fix the 1tb samsung. It is not plugged in any more.
    -I would preferably .. actually vital.. would like to keep the data on the disk. Simply reformatting it would kill me. And my career as a filmmaker!

Thank you everybody in advance for your advice.

Let's hope stuff works.

Andrew

IMAC:
    Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac11,3
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2.93 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 8 MB
    Memory: 8 GB
    Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
    Boot ROM Version: IM112.0057.B00
    SMC Version (system): 1.59f2

2. mjsmke macrumors 6502a

Do you have a backup of the drive? If you do, reformatting would sort the issue out.

3. andrewbring thread starter macrumors newbie

Baskets in on egg.... eggs in one basket.

nope... no backup.

I know I'm at fault here.

I put all my eggs in one basket.

Regret #1.

4. davids8477 macrumors 6502

I had a simllar problem with an external RAID 5 enclosure - suddenly it was gone - and all my pics and music.

When I tried to repair it - Disk Utility - I got the message that there was and issue with the B Tree (or something like that) and it needed to be reformatted!

I purchased a copy of Disk Warrior - ran it an it fixed the problem in about 5 minutes - highly recommended.

5. Stan Mikulenka macrumors 6502

Hi andrew,
    as davids says, you have to use commercial Utility app for fixing something like that.I use these utilities - you (and everybody else) should have at least one of these...:

Attached Files:

6. andrewbring thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everybody.

I'm planning to bring my harddrive into my work where some of my neighbors may have the program since they are help desk tech people.

I assume they will have the program.
    If not I will take a shot.

Wish me luck.

I'll report back, hopefully with all my data back and reading posts on RAID and Drobo.

Andrew