iMac and external storage to circumvent the temp issue in the 2011

Discussion in 'iMac' started by one1, Feb 28, 2013.

1. one1 macrumors 65816

one1

I have the 2011 iMac and 500gb HD which I want to add some storage to. I've read tons of threads on temp sensor issues, kits, tricks, and everything else that boils down to it's basically just a PITA to swap the internal drive. I, like most people I assume, do not have any intention of moving my iMac from it's desk at any point in it's life so there seems to be no reason not to use an external drive.

~ Does anyone here have insight on running a big external HD as a sole source for the iMac basically ignoring the internal HD and booting completely from external? I booted from external when I was testing Mt Lion and had Snow Leo as my internal OS, but the test drive was only a 320gb laptop drive in a caddy.

~ Does anyone have a recommendation on an external that has both large storage, and reasonable pricing? As a bonus are any silver or aluminum finish that might try to match the iMac just a slight bit?

~ Anything I am overlooking in this plan?

2. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

When....

booting from an external HDD, my personal preference is boot from the fastest drive posible. If my memory works, the 2011 iMacs (midyear) have 4 USB 2.0 and one FireWire 800 ports. So, I will go with a FireWire drive. Upside is the price, being more expensive and with less choices than the USB 2.0 option. Maybe, future proofing, an external HDD with USB 2.0 and FireWire 800 is the best option, IMHO.

But in the USB 2.0 option feel free to check Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...46&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

And for Mac-centric drives:

http://www.newegg.com/Mac-Hard-Drives/SubCategory/ID-552

I think Buffalo branded HDDs had the look/finish you want. But I cant recomend them because I dont have any input/opinion about.

Going the USB 2.0 route I will prefer WD, LaCie and Seagate, from first to last.

:):apple:

3. one1, Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2013

one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

one1

Thanks! I have the Thunderbolt port as well, any options there? I'm still kind of cloudy on what that is for besides monitors.

EDIT: From your link this one LOOKS nice, but haven't looked at it's specs, just it's finish and how it blends nicely to the iMac http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822510004

4. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

Well....

seems my memory dont work rightfully.....:confused: And about Thunderbolt, HDDs are blazingly fast. But if you are in a budget, can be hard to find some with the combo you need (not so expensive/big enough). But, from time to time, deals come out, as in Amazon or in the online stores from the HDDs makers.....:)

:):apple:

5. buysp macrumors 6502

6. symber macrumors member

Whatever you do, don't get a USB 2.0 or Firewire drive to boot from. You've got Thunderbolt on that machine, which is upwards of 4x as fast. Either get the Thunderbolt enclosure mentioned above, or a LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt SSD for super fast booting.

(This one's at the Apple store but you can probably find it cheaper elsewhere: http://store.apple.com/uk/product/H...d=p219|GOUK&cid=AOS-UK-KWG-GO_UK_Product-Feed)

7. WilliamG macrumors G3

That Thunderbolt enclosure is outdated, not reliable, and not recommended. Go with a Seagate Backup Plus, not the Seagate Go Flex. The Backup Plus is the newer version. I've been externally booting off an SSD inside the Backup Plus for over two months now with zero issues.

8. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

one1