iMac and extra monitor question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chronocrosser, Apr 17, 2008.

1. chronocrosser macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I need some input here.

I'm looking to buy the iMac 2.8 gHz 24" when the Penryn processor comes in...

I have a 24" widescreen non-Mac monitor already - can I plug that into the iMac so I have 2 monitors? Or do i need another video card/better faster video card than what it comes with?

I'm dying to get a Mac - does anyone know if the new model will be out this month? (April) I'm following that rumour page pretty much every day :)

2. MM07 macrumors 6502a

3. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

All you need is a miniDVI to DVI converter. You can get that from the Apple store (or a 3rd party reseller).

4. chronocrosser thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks you 2.

That's great!

So now, Cherry is the quality you are getting still awesome - I mean screen refreshing etc...

I'm not up on how video cards work - but on my PC now with 2 monitors the refresh seems to be very weird...

I mean the 24" iMac mon is huge and then I am plugging in another 24" mon - is the ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory able to handle the 2 mons with great quality? Or should I up the MB to 512?

I know - this is such a greedy question..I feel like Hugh Jackman in Swordfish. :D

5. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

You can't upgrade the GPU youself unless it's a BTO option.

The iMac graphic card - whichever it might be when penryn comes will be capable of powering an additional display (up to 23") adequately without compromising graphics.

6. chronocrosser thread starter macrumors newbie

Just in case anyone else stumbles across this and has the same problem...the comments given worked fine for me - I have a generic widescreen monitor and with the cable I was able extend my 24" iMac monitor to a huge size with no loss in resolution/sharpness etc...the only problem is the crystal iMac screen looks 1 million times better than the non-crystal screen - so I stick the email and typing apps on that side while I work in the clearer crystal side for Photoshop etc.

Yes I am greedy with the monitor space - and the 3.0ghz iMac is the best Mac I have ever had for a web designer like myself.

Cheers.