Imac and FCS2

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by gskowal, Jul 8, 2008.

1. gskowal macrumors member

Sorry if this was asked before but i only find old posts...Will FCS2 work fine on a n IMAC 2.8 with 4 rams ? Planning on editing HD footage...

2. -DH macrumors 65816

FCS 2 will work on your iMac ... however, don't expect much performance from Motion or Color.

-DH

3. nickane macrumors 6502

I run fcs2 on my imac g5 rev a just fine. I've yet to try colour or motion 2, however. Motion 1 ran ok, but it didn't have 3D, so i'm guessing my 5 year old gfx card would struggle. I wouldn't have thought it would be that slow on an intel.

FCP6 runs pretty well on just about anything so long as you choose the right codec for your offline edit.

4. mikeyPotg macrumors 6502

I had an iMac C2d 2.4ghz with 4gb of ram & FCS 2 worked decent enough for me... but I decided to eventually sell it and get a mac pro. At the time I was editing footage from an HV20.

5. gskowal thread starter macrumors member

it's really that bad?? I figured 2.8 with 4 ram would be good enough to do HD editing and some color correction... Man i figured i woudnt have any problem with it since i've seen people doing full lenght movie projects on older imacs... Is it the software thats just so needy?

6. mikeyPotg macrumors 6502

It really wasn't too bad. I've seen a lot of projects being done on older iMacs too so I didn't think it would be bad.
    I think maybe I'm just too needy & maybe I didn't install everything correctly? Who knows, but a major selling point to the MP was that I could upgrade everything... Already upgraded the HD's and Ram (9 gigs). Next up is the video card. Maybe even look into a RAID setup if I decide to hold onto this before Apple releases a bluray MBP!

7. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

Lolz.

Color and Motion (especially) are running fantastically on the 2.8Ghz, 24" iMac I have sitting in front of me.

Of course, if you're used to a 8x 3.2Ghz Mac Pro, it'll be crap, but if you're (like me) getting used to this spec after upgrading from something like a 2.16Ghz, 15" C2D MBP, it's one hell of an improvement.

:rolleyes:

8. gskowal thread starter macrumors member

This is good news since i was already starting to think i will never be able to afford mac pro so forget about editing lol.. OK my imac is coming today so i`m excited..I hope i`ll have no screen issues...

9. mikeyPotg macrumors 6502

awesome, congrats! You'll really love the iMac. I do miss it at times.

10. gskowal thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! i hope i`ll like it and have no issues... :)

11. nickane macrumors 6502

Yeah, i thought that seemed a bit off-key. i use mac pros at work and i still find my archaic imac able to deal with hd passably. I'd have thought a recent intel imac would be as capable as a late model powermac g5 and then some.

12. slu macrumors 68000

slu

You'll be fine. People overreact greatly around here about machine specs. There are many people that think you can't do anything except use Safari unless you have a Mac Pro with 16 GB of ram.

Your iMac will run everything in the Suite just fine.

13. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

An iMac's computer screen, well any computer screen, is of very limited use when it comes to color correction, just FYI.

Lethal

14. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

I suppose that you can technically do basic color correction by connecting an external monitor (like an 23" or 30" ACD) through a Matrox MXO. That will work for Quicktime-based applications like Color.