imac and final cut

Discussion in 'iMac' started by thisisarcadia, Mar 24, 2011.

1. thisisarcadia macrumors 6502

I am a college student going to school for film. I haven't started my major classes yet but I thought I should go ahead and get an iMac to familiarize myself with final cut. My question to you is which one should I get? The 2.8i5 or the 2.93i7. They are both pretty powerful so I am trying to see if it will be worth the extra money to get the better processor.

PS. I would get a mac pro but I just simply cannot afford it!

2. mwayne85 macrumors regular

If you absolutely need it now, get the quad 2.93 i7. It will handle video editing just fine for your film school needs. BUT, if you can wait a few weeks, the iMac should be getting a significant spec bump soon. I recommend the second option. It'll be worth the wait.

3. simsaladimbamba

What about the current i7 quad-core MBPs?
    Btw, any current Mac or any Mac since 2007 can handle FCP and editing.
    Just the transcoding of footage, when it is recorded using an MPEG-4 codec, takes a long time, thus the faster CPU will be faster with that transcoding.

4. thisisarcadia thread starter macrumors 6502

yea i have read the rumors. I was planning on getting a refurb anyways. Thanks for the advice though

5. thisisarcadia thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I wanted a powerful base station and then maybe get a 13 mbp for on the go. I already have a late 2006 mb and I am just looking to upgrade to something a lot better

6. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Even if you get a refurb, the refurbs of the current generation will drop in price when the new models are released.

There's also going to be a new Final Cut this year.

It always pays to wait if you can.