iMac and Firefox

Discussion in 'iMac' started by traveller01, Jun 15, 2011.

1. traveller01 macrumors newbie

I have a new computer and I tend to like Firefox so I downloaded it Then I encountered a weird problem that I've never had before. I open a window and access a website such as Apple. i click on the store, for example, and start scrolling down the page. As I scroll down the page whatever passes about the center of the page gets distorted along a line from the left side of the screen to the right side. (And sometimes a little higher than center.) Most noticeable with pages with images embedded in them though the same thing happens, I've noticed, to a lessor degree on pages with just text.

Do the same with Safari , Chrome , or Opera and I don't notice the same problem. Can I assume the problem lies within the Firefox software rather than the computer?

2. Benz63amg macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

i also love firefox and prefer it over chrome and i have a different problem that doesnt happen with chrome or safari,

when i watch ANY FLASH video whether its youtube, hulu or whatever, the video tears every minute and so on.. its slight tears but very annoying, im assuming its a problem with flash and firefox 4 as this is perfectly fine in google chrome and safari 5.

so im guessing firefox 4 is not ironed out to work optimally with the latest flash release and our new 2011 sandy bridge iMacs. who knows..

3. traveller01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the information lamonsas. I really prefer Firefox compared to the other browsers. Among other things, I like the way it handles bookmarks. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's having problems and hope they get things straightened out soon. Have you tried reporting the problem to Mozilla?

4. Patianni macrumors newbie

Firefox 4.0.1 Woes

I have a MBP 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo, 8 GB Ram, 10.6.7.

My MBP has always been crash proof...

until I updated to Firefox 4.0.1 and OS X 10.6.7.

Now Firefox crashes once or twice per day, and sometimes forces a complete system crash. I use Disk Warrior and Disk Utility on restart, and Mac Keeper occasionally to get rolling again.

What the heck... I'm not used to complete system crashes in OS X, but it is always initiated by Firefox.

Any thoughts anyone?

-Patianni

5. RoyalFlushAK(s) macrumors member

What's wrong with Safari

Why would you want to use the Fox instead Safari? What's the benefit?

RF,

6. Patianni macrumors newbie

Makes me think... Hmmmmm

Not a bad question Royal Flush...

I'll ponder that tonight.

-patianni

7. Benz63amg macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

LOL is that a serious question? the scrolling in safari 5 are horrendous, its fine on most sites with text but with heavy sites it chokes when scrolling as in the scrolling becomes choppy. besides firefox is much faster than safari.

the scrolling in firefox is so smooth its not even comparable to chrome or safari, i dont know how safari achieves this level of smoothness when scrolling but yea i have the youtube problem with firefox 4.0.1 and 10.6.7, who knows when it will be fixed but yea..

the only reason im not using chrome which i love is because the scrolling is not very smooth like firefox on my 2011 sandy bridge imac, im guessing its some software issue i guess or maybe the graphic drivers.. who knows

8. Patianni macrumors newbie

Good: It's Not Just Me

I check the Mozilla site everyday, hoping for an update to FF 4.0.1.

(Surely I can't be the only one.)

But so far, no update.

Maybe Lion will somehow fix this mess...

but still, it's not really up to Apple, is it (?)... this is Mozilla's mess.

-patianni

9. Patianni macrumors newbie

Mea Culpa

I apologize to all... for changing this iMac thread into a FireFox thread.

I figured hey, we're all on Macs...

we're all running 10.6.x... and we all recently upgraded to FF 4.0.1.

And then, apparently, we ran into a plethora of problems that seem to offer no cure. We share a common problem that respects no particular hardware.

Get this... In desperation, I tried to download the last version of FF 3 on the Mozilla site to revert, and the file downloaded, but when I opened it... it was v. 4.0.1!! My new problem child!!!

I tried this two more times, with the same results.

I wrote to Mozilla about all of this... but no response!

A bit of history: I switched to FF from Safari a few years ago because it was so much faster, the tabbing was cool, and it was just more jazzy than Safari.

But... I find myself at an
    impasse.

I reach out to all.

-patianni

10. Herdfan macrumors 6502

I am not seeing any of this with Firefox. Let me say, that the first thing I did after I got my new iMac (3.4 i7, 8GB) up and running was to D/L Firefox. I can't stand Safari.

So far it has been rock solid.

11. Georgio macrumors 6502

Georgio

Tried FF 4.0 when it came out but it annoyed me so much I went back to 3.6, here for those that need:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-older.html

The problem I found was that it wouldn't let me create more than 2 separate windows; I like to have a window for mail and radio iPlayer minimised in the dock and try as I might I couldn't get another window for actual browsing.
    Went back to 3.6 and I could have as many windows as I needed.

12. Patianni macrumors newbie

Thank You Georgio

I successfully D/L'd 3.6.

That's my next move... and I'll check back in shortly.

Thank you so much for the link.

-patianni

13. Bear macrumors G3

Funny, I can create lots of Windows with Firefox 4. It sounds like you may have a borked add on or bad configuration settings.

14. lexvo macrumors 65816

No problems with FireFox (4.0.1) here either. But maybe we don't use it enough as Safari is our main browser. From a speed point of view I can't tell the difference between FF and Safari.

15. Patianni macrumors newbie

Success!

Thanks to a link from Georgio...

I'm back on FF3.6...

and no crashes in 24 hrs.

I guess it was just bad Ju-Ju between OS X 10.6.7 and FF4.0.1 on my computer.

Thanks to all who helped,

-patianni

16. Stan Mikulenka macrumors 6502

17. mac.tastic macrumors member

Safari is garbage.

18. Stan Mikulenka macrumors 6502

Hi,
    don't forget, too, that Firefox uses a lot of memory.
    This is after running for about hour: (800Megs?)

Attached Files:

19. dyusem macrumors member

I also recently had some issues with Firefox; I believe that there was a (temporary?) conflict with Session Manager (but that may be just speculation). While FF seems to be running well now, it looks like FF 5 will be released next week so who knows if this will cause more issues or resolves this one...ugh...

20. Bear macrumors G3

It's funny - they keep saying they are cleaning up the memory issues with Firefox, however, it seems like they find new ways to use up memory with more new features each release.

And of course this is one of the reasons that sooner than people think, 8GB base systems will start to make sense.

21. mac.tastic macrumors member

Who cares. Memory is very cheap.
    Picking a browser simply because it uses less ram makes no sense at all.
    In fact, the fact is uses more ram is a GOOD thing since it means its using less swap memory. That results in less lag and a better browsing experience.

22. Bear macrumors G3

• Yes memory is inexpensive.
    • All else being equal (including performance. Choosing a browser based on lower memory usage is not a bad thing.
    • This is a misnomer. A browser will use swap memory based on what the OS decides to swap it. So it really depends on why the browser is using more memory. A browser can be very inefficient in how it uses memory - in my book that makes the browser using more memory a bad thing.

23. hsop macrumors newbie

I also (unfortunately) updated to Firefox 4.0.1 and OS X 10.6.7.

Yes, Firefox crashes frequently at least once a day on once in two days but my problem is about another matter:

My preferences are selected as "show my tabs and windows from last time" when I quit the program. However when I command to quit Firefox, it closes the window but no matter how long I wait, doesn't quit the program. I eventually use force quit. This happens every time.

It has become really annoying, I was wondering if anyone has similar problems or any solution to this?